Esther

Beccah

AD-Esther_1.jpg

Esther

Esther was selected as queen of Persia from every virgin within the boundaries of the kingdom, all of whom were given a full year of beautification before they had to appear before the king for consideration. Thus she is perfumed with the precious luxuries of myrrh and a Persian spice blend, with additional dashes of cardamom, clove and black pepper, then lightened with touches of apricot and fresh green fig and a dollop of spring honey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

MYRRH ~ Stimulating, soothing. Powerful guard against evil.
FIG ~ Wisdom, fertility, love, luck, protection,
aids restful sleep, divination. Feminine sexuality.
APRICOT ~ Love, love, love! Romance, passion, femininity.
HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover. Happiness, fulfillment.
CARDAMOM ~ Lust, love.
PEPPER ~ Protection, fidelity, dispels envy and evil, exorcism, breaks hexes.
CLOVE ~ Money attracting, deflects negative and hostile energies

It had me at "myrrh" and "honey." WANT.

I waited on Hummingbird (too floral?) and Big Easy (too masculine?), but I ordered FB on this one. Like Rose, I can't quite get my mind's nose around what these notes together will smell like but individually they are all notes that have liked me so far :D I'm excited and hope I made the right choice!

Myrrh dominant Ester could be a win for me. Keep in mind I sometimes radically change my mind on a scent after it's settled a few days, or weeks ect. Being Resinous and spice this will change with age.

Right now I get very little honey or apricot as single notes. But, they could be softening the overall scent.

Right now I get a blanket of Myrrh upon which all the spices float, the pepper is slightly spiking above the others. The fig adds a somewhat earthy note. I want to let this settle and see what happens next.

Edited by StacyK

Oh my! You make it sound lovely! I can't wait to try it! So jealous - though I'm trying not to be - of all you ladies who have already gotten your orders! :)

I'm jealous, StacyK! I've tried this one four times now and my nose just can't seem to "get" it. I detect notes but I just can't seem to get an actual scent. Like having all the puzzle pieces in place where they belong but not seeing a picture.

It's my nose, not the fragrance! I'm going to set it aside for a few days then give it another try. I WANT to adore this one because it's brimming with all my favorite notes.

Thanks for the review StacyK I have been awaiting reviews for this one and Nola. I have been wanting a Myrrh scent and the description makes this one sound like it.

I love Myrrh. You should try enchanted Wonderland too.

Yes Ducky. I get that a bit too. I get the Myrrh then the individual spices with the pepper spiking a bit on my skin. The fig adding a dash of an earthy note because that's what fig does on my skin.

It just needs a bit of aging IMO.

Edited by StacyK

Wow yet another that smells SO SO different in vial vs on skin! Wet, it smelled intensely masculine (!) and made me think of an old fashioned barbershop. Within a couple of minutes it completely flipped switches and became a sultry, powdery thing, unquestionably feminine, and very very sweet. Nice!! During this drying down stage I could not have named a note to save my life except maybe the honey, MAYBE. Now, dry, it smells blue to me. Reminds me of Mel's creamy iris. ???? I know. It's super pretty.

When Mara told me this would have a drier, green fig, I was very excited because I love green fig. In the vial that is primarily what I smell, the green freshness of the fig with the myrrh underneath. I think myrrh is particularly complimentary with fruit and intensely sweet notes. After application the myrrh and spices evolve in an interesting way, I actually get a sort of anise impression from the mix even though I know that's not what it is; I think pepper has that effect with my chemistry sometimes. The honey blends with these other notes in such a way as to just add body to the whole, not stand out as we usually expect it to. The apricot comes out further in the drydown to add a bit more sweetness. The final drydown is a powdery-smooth resinous aura. This one reminds me of other favorites like Sugared Magi or The Sand Box, fig and myrrh is such a great pairing for fragrance, I really like this!

The first impression of Esther bursts with gorgeousness a very womanly scent. The drydown happens in 5 min, a closer to the skin but still a noticeably beautiful fragrance. I'm not even gonna attempt to break this down it's a you gotta smell it to believe it scent. Better yet read Luna's post, leave it to Luna to have a play by play apt description and puzzle piece together the most ambiguous lp of the month.

Je t'adore! In the vial I smell a fresh, slightly honeyed fig and apricot mixture with a lacing of myrrh. In the far, far background is the faintest whisper of spice. The first few minutes after I put this on I felt like swearing a lifelong allegiance to this, and only this scent. It reminds me of something ancient and royal. I agree with Luna about the honey adding body to the whole and not standing out. It is a sweet natural smell for me. Like a drizzle of honey instead of a pool of honey.

Those first few minutes I am a Grecian goddess ready to be adored. It is a golden hazy ray of afternoon sunlight hitting a rustic terracotta bowl filled with ripened figs. Beautiful. I then get a wee touch of where it is heading to next and I am so excited to see where it is, then Poof!, it all but disappears. I have my nose snuffling up and down my arm wondering where it went and why did it leave me behind. I get a left over trace of faint sweet powder. I am so hoping this is a mid-shark week nose weirdness. Yes, that has to be it because I need that scent to come back to me.

eta: my fingers are too clumsy for my phone!

Edited by greenergal

This was not at the top of my list because i frequently can't do honey, but i am stunned--stunned!!--as how light and beautiful this is on my skin. First on, I get a honey drizzled fig, slightly sweet. The apricot is tart enough to keep it light, but it's not in your face. You won't smell it as much as you do in the Love Potions.The myrrh smooths things out. I actually don't detect any spice, other than the suggestion of cardamon at the beginning. This is very feminine in the earth mother way. Like others have said, don't judge this one by sniffing the vial. You will be pleasantly surprised.

This is intriguing -- I had no idea what to expect, reading the notes. On me, this is very sheer and delicate and at the same time there is juiciness to it that is very feminine and sensual. I get the honey, and hints of apricot and fig. The myrrh is grounding and the spices are far in the background. Elegant and stealth sexy. Very nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Wet, it's floral to my nose and I thought - uh-oh...could be good, could be bad....But on there's a, hmm, yes, juiciness, like Blackcat mentioned. This one is going to take some more exploring. I currently have on just a smidge for testing, but I think I would like to slather this for full effect (I know, I know, when do I NOT slather?!) But there's something definitely exotic and unique about this that isn't being done justice in such a tiny test area (it's currently sharing space with Irish Rose). It's sweeter than I expected but the other notes ground it so well...I'm thinking when the fruits begin to fade and the cardamom, pepper and clove step forward more it will be very different....

Update:

This is changing already....I think it's the myrrh stepping to the front with the hint of sweetness and spices as a pillow....Mmmm, this is getting interesting...I'm quite liking where this is going so far...:)

Edited by NuTrix

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very airy and watery scent to me

I expected it to be earthy but its too crisp n fresh to possibly be earthy :o

It doesnt stay very long on my skin, but from what gathered before it faded is its a little bit like LP silver...?

I honestly cant identify any notes :fright04238:

except the honey, i can faintly smell the honey but thats about it.

If it could stick around a little longer id love to wear it lot more!

• 3 weeks later...

This was a lot lighter than I was expecting after reading the notes!

The label is very well chosen here; it perfectly evokes the feel of the scent for me.

Very crisp, very clean; it threatens to veer into soapy but never quite gets there, it stays more sheer than that.

It smells very young and fresh (although 1000 times better than the perfumes I used to wear as a teenager!).

It is a bit too light and 'dry' for me I think, but I suspect I know several women who would really like it.

I certainly would not mind smelling it on someone else; I suspect it might be a more interesting scent on someone with a different skin chemistry from mine.

• 1 month later...

This is spicy fun for me, but spicy not in a usual way (autumny spice). I was worried initially when I first put Esther on as I could smell the honey right away, and usually honey-scents smell horrible on me. Now once dry the fruit and spice are together and balance each other. It's a bit foody, but not sweet or overpowering, almost smells gourmet like entering in to a market with lots of herbal/spice scents mixed together.

• 7 months later...

My love of cloves and allspice (I realise allspice is not in this scent), has piqued my interest in Esther. Would anyone who has reviewed this scent say that there is a definitive clove presence? If not, I think I'll be going for a PE.

I guess I should have also asked if anyone has a scent they'd recommended that is primarily either clove or allspice? I have just ordered Sugared Cloves, and I have sampled Eve of Darkness.

Edited by Wanderlust

Would anyone who has reviewed this scent say that there is a definitive clove presence?

Not for me, really.

The most clove-heavy scent I can think of has been long sold out, which is Carpe Noctum. But I think I mentioned Tails of Mystery before, but also Gitana may be one you like.

My love of cloves and allspice (I realise allspice is not in this scent), has piqued my interest in Esther. Would anyone who has reviewed this scent say that there is a definitive clove presence? If not, I think I'll be going for a PE.

I guess I should have also asked if anyone has a scent they'd recommended that is primarily either clove or allspice? I have just ordered Sugared Cloves, and I have sampled Eve of Darkness.

Maybe the 2012 version of Ebilish. The spices are heavier and I get the clove.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this one! It smells feminine and regal. It's sweet and juicy, and a little musky after awhile. I seem to like most scents with fig as a note, and I like that in this one, the honey is very light. Just enough to lend a touch of sweetness.

I might need a full bottle of this someday.

• 3 months later...

I put this on about 10 minutes ago and the front notes were like "whoa, I just hit the earth momma at the Ren Faire." Bright spice and resin, I think. But honestly, it was so overwhelming I didn't like it. After about 10 minutes, its starting to tone down. I don't think its particularly feminine on me. ...my initial thought was maybe my boyfriend would like it. I'm going to give this a bit more time. I'm sure there is a time and a place I might want to wear this like in front of my firepit when I want to chill. I'm just dont get it yet.

I don't think its particularly feminine on me. ...my initial thought was maybe my boyfriend would like it.

I would say that the masculine version of this type of scent is The Sand Box.

• 2 months later...

Got this as a trade sample (Thank You!). After reading the notes, I skipped sniffing from the vial. Sometimes, myrrh becomes overwhelming on me. Not this time. Esther gathered and shared her finest fare.

This scent does not have staying power on my skin without slathering lotion prior to wear. Whilst she's visiting Esther is enfolding warmth and benevolence.

• 3 years later...

Bumping for charity auction!

this is not one of the most highly coveted LPs on the list but it is pretty special. Mara does some pretty magical things with fig and this is a great example of that. If you love myrhh you need this. It’s feminine and light but also warm, cozy and rich. Sheer almost but also quietly deep and sensuous. That’s a pretty rare combination.