Charlene's Sanctuary

NuTrix

The musings all started here:
http://lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=8958

And here is the final outcome...
Myrrh, Sandalwood, Carnation and Marshmallow root....and a ton of willful projection of intent for protection, spiritual grounding and bonding and for the qualities to both be received inward and extended outward toward others. It's hugely intent driven, even the notes were chosen specifically for their meanings:

Myrrh - Stimulating, soothing. Powerful guard against evil.
Sandalwood-sweet/smooth - Love exotic sensual atmospheric: aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
Carnation - Power, energy, protection. Fascination, admiration.
Marshmallow root - Fertility, happiness, creativity, increase in psychic awareness, intuition, love, protection, exorcism. Gently commanding and persuading.

I wanted something that felt strong and commanding but supportive and uplifting...a kind of yin and yang. Something that felt like an "and/also" not an "either/or".

Although at first sniff I didn't find this uber feminine, in nearly the same breath...I DO. There is something about this that is comforting, grounded and serene and that is also sultry, inviting and warm.
GOOSEBUMPS!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These were some of my first observations after HAVING to put it on the night I came home to it in the mail:

The carnation is spicy, almost peppery like. It's incredibly complimentary to the sandalwood and Myrrh.

This morning what's left is an ever so slightly peppery marshmallow sweetness with hints of the myrrh and sandalwood barely there. I MUST wear it today to see how it plays throughout it's dry down. It doesn't strike me as uber feminine but I wouldn't say it's masculine either - especially now with the sweet marshmallow coming through.

As I was lying there in bed last night right after applying, I couldn't HELP thinking about the smell at first :D But then my mind drifted to the feeling of it. It feels grounded, strong and powerful. The word shaman came to mind, someone you go to for healing or understanding, who presents and/or possesses an inner and/or other worldly strength and wisdom. I can see how these attributes would be beneficial to bonding :)
So there it is. Protective, deeply spiritual feeling - to me at least - and the receptive/giving nature of those 2 things lending to bonding. This is some potent shiznet!

For myself, maybe because of all the intent I was willing from the moment I requested the PE, the feelings it garnered were pretty intense last night. I'm going to wear it today solo. I may have to think about the perfect phero combo a bit more before making that decision.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it's been here for a little more than a week and has had a chance to mellow out. It is so well balanced it's ridiculous! I can read everything, the myrrh, sandalwood, carnation and marshmallow root. It's just this PERFECT sweet, spicy, earthy wonderfulness.

No. This is definitely NOT a man scent but I find it utterly huff-able! For reference to man scent, Just Ducky inquired if a man might be able to wear this...Soooo I borrowed my husband to see if it could be complimentary to man flesh. He was none too pleased...see excerpt below:

-Upon application, man beast proclaimed "Not a guy scent. It's too sweet."
-Five minutes after app, "Def NOT a man scent...if I smelled it on a guy I would think - cream puff" :o
-The longer he wears it..."I think I would ike it on you, but definately don't like it on me, it definately seems like a girl scent. The longer I wear it, the more I want to wash it off."
-Funnily enough, even the DOG doesn't approve of it on him...he keeps turning his head away from my husbands app spot...however when I have the pooch sniff my app spot, he's all love-n-kisses and climbing all over me for attention :lol:
-The carnation IS sweeter on him and less peppery...I think it smells fantastic HAHAHA! But I have to agree - this is definately NOT a guy scent. Mystery solved!

~~~~~~~~

I'm thinking this will definitely be a Treasured Hearts scent, PM (because I love that one so much) and maybe even a Balm Bomb?

For more reflective times, something B-nol heavy like TMI or to spin it more intimately - Sexology.

Something else very strange about this is that it seems familiar...like a memory I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe as I continue to wear it, it will come to me?

I'm going to have to go slather this on again before bed :lol: At this rate my PE isn't going to last me very long :heart:

Ooooo! I hope you like it! My first bottle is already just about low enough the PM boost I want to give it, lol. I'm definitely doing another with TH. I slathered in this again last night before bed :lol: I'm going through this and Papal Purple at break neck speed!

I should be getting your BCM right about the same time! I read about the rebrew OHMYGOSH!OHMYGOSH! I hope I love it! It reads gloriously....maybe I won't be so afraid of running out of Kat Suit once I've got a back up purfume :D

NuTrix!!! The box came yesterday and this was the first thing I opened. I am wearing it again today and although this is an early report, I wanted to let you know how FAB this came out!

Initially I get the carnation, and then I think the myrrh and sandalwood come up in perfect balance beneath it. Then, after a little time goes by, I get hints of the marshmallow root peeking up around the edges.

It is spicy, with a mellow sweetness. It wears close to my skin like a dense warm cloud. I absolutely get that sense of groundedness and powerful feminine energy. I feel calmer when I put it on, but as if I can gear up and go cope with what needs coping with. So that balance you talked about in your original thread -- I am really feeling it.

I too am getting some very evocative scent memory that hovers just out of reach. Will come back when I can put words to it.

Anyway, this is just wonderful! I am sitting on my hands not to go over to the PE thread and snatch up the last one. The intent is genius and the scent is really lovely.

OH YAY! Glad it's making such a good first impression! It's mellowed and gotten sweeter since it first arrived. Still very much in LUB!

Maybe it's spring fever, with everything beginning to come into bloom, and I'm just itchy to be back out and about in the green woods after what seems like a long winter but there is something about this scent that makes me want to get out of the house and away from everything - the cell phones, radios, tvs, human noise, industry in general...:lol: Sounds like spring fever alright! I want to get my shoes off and walk bare foot in the sun warmed grass and smell the bark and moss of the trees...It's like wearing this makes me want to seek out the things that balance me. It's crazy the emotions it evokes...still investigating that part of the mystery....:)

NuTrix, yes, I know what you mean, there is something very organic about this one ... it has more the feel of a gorgeous blend of essential oils than a perfume-y feel. Actually, when I put it on, it kind of reminded me of opening a magickal oil blend, something I would have ordered purely for intent, and then discovering that I could fall in love with the scent as a by-product. I have a place where I do my random workings in a patch of woods on my mom's property... this totally makes me want to go out there and commune with nature and the spirits!

Amalthea, I think you are going to love it!

:girlHeart-5:

My husband recognized it immediately when I had it on the other night. He kept circling back to me with hit and run comments...."Yes, I definitely like it on you"...."That's potent, I can smell it where ever you've been in the house" :blushing: hehe...but he quickly added that he liked it and he kept tilting his head and looking at me throughout the evening like he was still sorting something about it out :lol: This was all phero free mind you....he seemed utterly fascinated...over my perfume!?!?!?! Now if that don't beat all :omgwtf: :D

My bottle should be here either Monday or Tuesday! I can't wait -- this sounds so perfect. I threw caution to the winds and got it with half a Perfect Match boost!

Blackcat, I have Perfect Match unscented and I like it very much Its effects are not over the top or anything, but quite nice. I think/hope you will like it too.

:girlHeart-5:

My husband recognized it immediately when I had it on the other night. He kept circling back to me with hit and run comments...."Yes, I definitely like it on you"...."That's potent, I can smell it where ever you've been in the house" :blushing: hehe...but he quickly added that he liked it and he kept tilting his head and looking at me throughout the evening like he was still sorting something about it out :lol: This was all phero free mind you....he seemed utterly fascinated...over my perfume!?!?!?! Now if that don't beat all :omgwtf: :D

LOL!!! Nutrix this us a very funny visualization to me. My partner could have a barrel of pheros OR perfume spill on him and I question if I would see any visible reaction! That is so cool! :)

He's never taken much more than a fleeting interest in ANY scent. Even the ones - on those rare occasions - that he has said smelled good. ie, usually foodie - like Orangzipan, that I got solely on the basis that he gnarfled approvingly (grabbing and nomming on me as I tried to pass by him) when I had it on :lol: he's not one to articulate! That this was a recurring conversation was an enigma all its own ^_^

This just arrived and I put a fairly healthy dose on to run out to Sears for house stuff, and -- it turned male heads! Industrial, knows-a-crescent-wrench-from-an-allen-wrench guys. Guys who wouldn't be caught dead at a perfume counter kinda guys. And I know it was the scent and not my gorgeous running-to-Sears appearance (ha!) because they didn't look my way until I was three feet past them and they caught the air borne scent.

I'm thinking it's because it's an almost androgynous scent, gender-ambidextrous, if you would, but reeeeally not masculine enough for a guy to pull off. Yet definitely sexy enough to make guys look at a girl twice.

It's a deep, dark sexy that carries an outdoorsy freshness to it. And I think guys appreciate its no nonsense, no princess fairies and glitter depth. I LOVE it!!

WOW! :faint: :holy-moly: :morph:

That's AWESOME! Stealthy...unique...sultry...and mysterious.....Who was that girl? :hubbahubba:

:Emoticons04263:

Cool!

Stealthy...unique...sultry...and mysterious.....Who was that girl? :hubbahubba:

Not to mention she bought GRAY duct tape (not fancy silver or blue) and was looking at air compressors . . . definite turn-on! :Emoticons0424:

Edited by Just Ducky

Hahaha! Weeeeelll, you can do all manner of things with good quality duct tape! :666::ange::lol2::Emoticons0424:

• 3 weeks later...

So I wore this for the first time yesterday, aside from just a quick little test when it first came in the mail. When I first put it on, I honestly thought I was going to dislike it. Wet, it DID seem a bit too masculine to me. But then once it dried down, it got much softer and more feminine. It's definitely different from my normal scent preferences, but once it's dry I really love it! The more I experiment with scents, I'm finding that I usually love Mara's blends with sandalwood, and I think that's what really does it for me in this one too. Plus, lately I feel like I've been having problems with scent diffusion, but this one smells strong to me, like it's really getting out there. It sticks around all day too - I actually keep getting little whiffs of it now, on the morning after, so it's got some staying power! I'm kind of thinking of claiming that last bottle, but there are so many still on my wishlist that it's doubtful I'll have a chance at it before it's gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no! To spicy? I was surprised by it myself. I'm sorry it isn't playing nice for you :(

I just had to drop by this thread and brag about the compliment I got on this today - walked into the doctor's office and the receptionist (who was behind one of those glass window/partition thingies) immediately started ranting about how good I smelled! She said it was the best perfume she'd ever smelled. I always worry about my perfumes not diffusing on me properly, but apparently this one does the job!

WOW! Yes! I would say that's some impressive throw if she caught it from the other side of her partition :lol: It's always great when someone gushes over something we're wearing from LP...opportunity to gush about how talented they are here! Thank you for sharing - you just made my night! ^_^

Hmm. It's completely unique to anything I have in my collection. One of those unique things is the carnation. Not being familiar with it as a perfume note it caught me by surprise. On me it plays wonderfully...and even though hubby said it was decidedly for females, I still think it smelled good on him...though it would definitely NOT be mistaken as a manly scent on his skin for sure! :lol:

Hmm, it smells very non-feminine on me. I can't even describe the scent.. I think the carnation kind of just took over and turns a weird sort of spicy (but not in a good way) on my skin. I tried to swipe it on a few different days spaced far apart to see if my skin was being weird one day or not.. but no such luck :(

I know there have been quite a few things that I have wanted to love that have just not been for me. I wish it were behaving better for you. It's just so sad because it's so wonderful to/on me. Chemistry! Sometimes it's our friend and sometimes...well, not so much :Emoticons04280:

How about, if it continues to be a flop, ask Mara for an email exchange. I will send you a list of some things I would be willing to swap and if none of them strike your fancy, I'll purchase it back from you :) I just adore it and would be happy to take it off your hands if it just isn't working for you. :heart:

• 5 weeks later...

Are you certain NuTrix? I'd feel bad making you take it off me. Unless you actually really want another bottle of your PE. The carnation really dislikes me. :( I'll try again in a few weeks, sometimes letting it sit a couple months helps.

I just wanted to pop in and rave about this one again. Somehow I had been thinking of it as more of a colder weather scent, so despite initial love had not reached for it in a while.

Well, today, I had to go into a situation where some repair was needed. I had a lot of trust that I would be met with goodwill, but somehow there has just been an escalation of miscommunication and struggle despite good intent on both sides. I was trying to figure out what scent/phero would best help aid me, and then spotted Sanctuary, basically thumped myself on the head and said "D'oh!" because that is what this made for, right?

First of all, the scent is aging beautifully. The carnation seems deeper and more mellow, and all the notes form this lovely soft cloud of scent that makes me feel beautiful, but in a very grounded, calm, everything is OK kind of way (instead of wired, anticipatory, etc). And as always, when Mara crafts with intent, look out, because magic! I could feel my nerves settling as soon as I put it on, and my meeting went very well. Somehow things slowed down enough so that better listening could take place, and I left feeling that major restoration had taken place.

This one is a treasure, NuTrix! Thanks so much for coming up with the concept. I am seriously considering a back-up bottle since there are still a few on Artfire... I am happy with my decision to get this boosted with Perfect Match, but I have a feeling it would probably be quite powerful just on its own.

Are you certain NuTrix? I'd feel bad making you take it off me.

LOL! You wouldn't be "making" me do anything sweetie :love: I LOVE this PE. I use it as a fragrance, I've added it to distilled water to make a spray for the house, I use it in my oil warmer....It has multiple uses for me...one more bottle won't go to waste and who's to say I wouldn't get more from ArtFire eventually anyway? :lol2:

because that is what this made for, right?

First of all, the scent is aging beautifully.

This one is a treasure, NuTrix! Thanks so much for coming up with the concept. I am seriously considering a back-up bottle since there are still a few on Artfire... I am happy with my decision to get this boosted with Perfect Match, but I have a feeling it would probably be quite powerful just on its own.

:girlHeart-5: YAY! and Yes! This is meant to build bridges, create safety and be inviting.

I've been loving how it's aging too! Like I mentioned above to Maiea, I use it for all manner of things at home too. My husband knows it by name when he smells it (believe me, that's really saying something!)

I'm glad there are still plenty extras on ArtFire...I figure since people aren't beating down the doors for it, it will be there for when I cave and swoop some more :lol:

Always happy to share in magical experiences - glad the potion is working well for you :heart:

Not to hijack your thread, but do you mind if I quickly ask: what proportions do you use for your room sprays? I'd love to do something like this!

And... to swiftly return to topic... I want to say: I'd forgotten what serious staying power this has for me! Most scents just don't last very long on my skin, but this one really does. An added bonus!

Yes, this one IS growing up quite nicely! I noticed the increased depth, and how the marshmallow root was starting to exert more presence than before -- or maybe that's just the carnation deciding to share the stage.

But what I REALLY noticed was how the intent is strengthening. I didn't have it on more than half a minute and I felt a surge of confidence, serenity, peacefulness, like all was well with the world and my little part of it.

Simply lovely!

what proportions do you use for your room sprays? I'd love to do something like this!

For me, I have a 4oz spray bottle that I decant about 1ml of fragrance oil, or a trial size vial (1.5ml), then fill the bottle the rest of the way with distilled water. I've used it as a body spray after showers and to spray on bed sheets, covers, furniture, pillows....Veloute Levande is my favorite for my comforter or after evening showers, just helps me off to sleep beautifully :)

or maybe that's just the carnation deciding to share the stage.

But what I REALLY noticed was how the intent is strengthening. I didn't have it on more than half a minute and I felt a surge of confidence, serenity, peacefulness, like all was well with the world and my little part of it.

I think it's the carnation sharing :lol:

I wish I had thought more of intent with my first PE. It certainly has it's own feel, but this is so much different. Synergetic. It makes me happy to know the elements and their energy are flowing as intended for others as it is for me :heart:

For me, I have a 4oz spray bottle that I decant about 1ml of fragrance oil, or a trial size vial (1.5ml), then fill the bottle the rest of the way with distilled water. I've used it as a body spray after showers and to spray on bed sheets, covers, furniture, pillows....Veloute Levande is my favorite for my comforter or after evening showers, just helps me off to sleep beautifully :)

Brilliant! Many thanks!

This just arrived and I put a fairly healthy dose on to run out to Sears for house stuff, and -- it turned male heads! Industrial, knows-a-crescent-wrench-from-an-allen-wrench guys. Guys who wouldn't be caught dead at a perfume counter kinda guys. And I know it was the scent and not my gorgeous running-to-Sears appearance (ha!) because they didn't look my way until I was three feet past them and they caught the air borne scent.

I'm thinking it's because it's an almost androgynous scent, gender-ambidextrous, if you would, but reeeeally not masculine enough for a guy to pull off. Yet definitely sexy enough to make guys look at a girl twice.

It's a deep, dark sexy that carries an outdoorsy freshness to it. And I think guys appreciate its no nonsense, no princess fairies and glitter depth. I LOVE it!!

JD I read this & it just cracked me up. I made a similar excursion to Home Depot to price refrigerators , HOWEVER I was wearing BAM peach (I put it on long before I made the decision to go to Home Depot!) only the Refrig dude could NOT get away from me fast enough, despite the fact that I was dressed nice, makeup'd & coiffed! LOL I was obviously in serious buying mode too - but he acted like he was scared I might take him into the lumberyard and ask him to show me some wood. I think that was my first dirty/sexy rejection while wearing cops inappropriately.

I really am here to look at Charlene's Sanctuary tho... It sounds awesome (especially the intent) but I've hesitated because I was afraid I'd smell too 'incensy' with the myrrh & sandalwood listed high. What I'm reading here though (I think) is that the carnation or marshmallow is actually taking center stage?? I'd love to know where the myrrh and sandalwood come in to play for any of y'all.

On me, the carnation comes out first, then the marshmallow. It plays on me like the it's the myrrh and sandalwood beneath grounding everything. Right now, 6 hours after applying, I have sugary marshmallow goodness but the carnation, myrrh and sandalwood are still there underneath adding a hint of spice and earth...:heart: It's sweet from the start with the marshmallow and it just continues forward over time. Everything else is blended in such a complimentary way - I love it! (guess I'm supposed to though huh? LOL)

On me, the carnation comes out first, then the marshmallow. It plays on me like the it's the myrrh and sandalwood beneath grounding everything. Right now, 6 hours after applying, I have sugary marshmallow goodness but the carnation, myrrh and sandalwood are still there underneath adding a hint of spice and earth...:heart: It's sweet from the start with the marshmallow and it just continues forward over time. Everything else is blended in such a complimentary way - I love it! (guess I'm supposed to though huh? LOL)

TY NuTrix ... I've trusted your input from day 1 so this just confirms what my gut says...guess I should head on over to AF :)

Yes, Lovestruck, I wanted to chime in and say that this one doesn't play "incense-y" on me. I love incense-y -- see my raving over Exotica! -- but with Sanctuary there is something different going on. The carnation sweetened/softened by marshmallow root is at the heart of it. The myrrh and sandalwood are the grounding force, but they don't overwhelm. All the notes are in perfect balance. I don't have another LP that does quite what this one does... so far, it's in a category of its own for me.

Yes, Lovestruck, I wanted to chime in and say that this one doesn't play "incense-y" on me. I love incense-y -- see my raving over Exotica! -- but with Sanctuary there is something different going on. The carnation sweetened/softened by marshmallow root is at the heart of it. The myrrh and sandalwood are the grounding force, but they don't overwhelm. All the notes are in perfect balance. I don't have another LP that does quite what this one does... so far, it's in a category of its own for me.

That's interesting, Blackcat. Exotica had to grow on me. I don't mind subtle incense-y, I just don't want to smell like a Head Shop, LOL. This sounds great & I certainly welcome & appreciate your input:) Edited by LoveStruck55

Something else that seems to be going on with this scent is that guys REALLY like it. A coworker inquired of me what I was wearing and when I told him he responded that he really likes "this" one a lot.

My new crew have been adjusting to me and my LP scents and all seem very curious about them...thy aren't interested in buying any as yet, but I've been presenting nightly fascination for them :lol:

Sanctuary seems to grab the attention of men ad they ask about it...It's been, "Hmm! What do you have on today?! That smells really good!" I will have to try to remember to ask what it is they think they are linking abut it. The sweet, the spicy, the earthy or just all of it???

Edited by NuTrix

OK stop NuTrix.. you had me at " This is meant to build bridges, create safety and be inviting" :) I'm afraid if word spreads there won't be any left on AF if I don't get my act together soon (to save LP on the dang PP fees I prefer to get all my "wants" into one basket!) I know how things just !POOF! disappear around here like Magik... I'm not surprised at all that you came up with such a really cool PE ;)

Edited by LoveStruck55

:smiley-laughing024:You give me WAAAAAY too much credit. Mara's the one who makes the notes into magick :heart: For all my uneducated nose knows, it's Mara that brings everything together. I DO like that the hubby is so fond of it, I can slather without concern or fear of the dredded "scunchi-face" he sometimes gives me when he disapproves :lol:

I can slather without concern or fear of the dredded "scunchi-face" he sometimes gives me when he disapproves :lol:

Ahh yes, the scrunchi-face. I just want to smack my HB when he does that (and say "REALLY!? As if I LIKE living with the constant smell of Fritos corn chips in my laundry room?!"- i.e. 3 boys :winktongue: )

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE! I know this is going to sound weird but I had a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup moment today (for those of you who might remember the old Reese's commercials where a boy eating peanut butter runs into a girl eating chocolate = Reese's, etc.)

I got my July order with my Beefcake sampler, and I had also ordered a Charlene's Sanctuary. I rolled CS on my right wrist to test (lovely, BTW). Then I started testing my sampler... I only decided to try the Crescendo spray though.

I aimed it at my left wrist and a huge wet squirt came out, so I quickly slammed my two wrists together (so not to 'waste' that squirt of Crescendo) totally forgetting I had already swiped CS on my right wrist. The resulting fragrance was incredible... and Crescendo has Topper too which is a BONUS. Both of them are great individually but layered...NOM. :in-love: I didn't think I'd get a FB of Crescendo but now I have to just to have it layer with my CS! I haven't even compared all the notes of these two to even see if they sound like they could be layered... but I'm here to tell you they can.

Love it when olfactory magick happens. Good job NuTrix!!! :great: