Lightning in a Bottle w/ Open Windows (unisex)

AD-LightningBottle_1.jpg

ACORNS & OAK ~ A wood of masculine and projective energy. It symbolizes endurance, triumph, strength, power, prosperity, and heroism.
TEAKWOOD ~ Longevity, bonding, weathering all conditions, endurance.
EARTH ~ Grounding, centering, protection, renewal, reincarnation, life.
WATER & OZONE ACCORDS ~ Cleansing, purifying. Fertility, Goddess energy, fluid of life. Renewal.
SMOKE ~ In addition to the attributes of whatever is being burned (resins, woods, etc), smoke is for cleansing, purification, renewal, consecration, concealment and celebration. It is also the foremost mode of communication from this world to the realm of spirits and the gods.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.

Scent: A beautiful, natural Autumnal blend that both sexes can wear.

This is definitely autumn in a bottle! This is a little too clean smelling for my liking though, but still a really great fragrance!

There's something poking my third eye sadly - the ozone maybe? This strikes me as very masculine and invokes thoughts of strength and stability.

It's the fragrance of hiking through the woods after all the leaves have fallen from the trees and you can smell the moisture tucked under them as your shoes rustle through flipping them over. In spite of the image of crunchy leaves, it seems to smell quite clean to my nose at the same time. I look forward to seeing whit the rest of you think ^_^

NuTrix, I had a very similar response to this one! I was hoping to fall madly in love because... autumn in a bottle, plus I have recently gotten obsessed with ozone as a note. This is definitely as described, but it tips enough to the masculine side that I will have to ponder whether I want a bottle or not (I'd also be interested to think if there might a Sugared Layerable that would sweeten it just a little bit).

It is VERY clean, and I think that might be keeping me on the fence as well. I think I was hoping for something a little darker and earthier. I just looked at the notes again and I am not getting either smoke or earth.

That being said -- the water accord is lovely, and if you love clean green scents, this is perfection! It's bright but not sharp, and it would be perfect for office/professional use. I am pretty much scent free at my main job these days, because I am working one on one with people in a little room that just amps everything, and I have regretfully stopped wearing many things that I thought would be fine for work this fall. But I have this on today and it feels very safe. I've never worn anything with Open Windows before, and I'm curious to see the effects on me and others.

ETA: It occurs to me: I have Sugared Earth and I just ordered Sugared Smoke, so maybe I'll try doctoring it with those!

Edited by Blackcat

NuTrix, I had a very similar response to this one! I was hoping to fall madly in love because... autumn in a bottle, plus I have recently gotten obsessed with ozone as a note. This is definitely as described, but it tips enough to the masculine side that I will have to ponder whether I want a bottle or not (I'd also be interested to think if there might a Sugared Layerable that would sweeten it just a little bit).

It is VERY clean, and I think that might be keeping me on the fence as well. I think I was hoping for something a little darker and earthier. I just looked at the notes again and I am not getting either smoke or earth.

That being said -- the water accord is lovely, and if you love clean green scents, this is perfection! It's bright but not sharp, and it would be perfect for office/professional use. I am pretty much scent free at my main job these days, because I am working one on one with people in a little room that just amps everything, and I have regretfully stopped wearing many things that I thought would be fine for work this fall. But I have this on today and it feels very safe. I've never worn anything with Open Windows before, and I'm curious to see the effects on me and others.

ETA: It occurs to me: I have Sugared Earth and I just ordered Sugared Smoke, so maybe I'll try doctoring it with those!

I'd say try Pure Sugar, that would soften it but not change the scent much. Sugared Smoke does sound interesting to pair with this.

I think it's actually the earth and smoke notes that are lending to that dried and damp leaf smell individually. The smoke adds to the dryness of autumn leaves smell, and the earth with the water note(s) give it that trapped moister under the leaves scent. I think that they are just so geniusly combined it's easy to miss (I'm sorry everyone, but I can't help myself) "the forest for the trees" :D Or in this case, leaves :heart: Smell again and see if you get what I mean :) I may be completely off, but that's my personal perception.

• 2 weeks later...

This is nose crack to me. I'm afraid to try it on my skin & ruin it's perfection, but I would very much like to smell this on a man. I actually received a sample of Clean: Rain, yesterday, I think this is what they were going for. Clean fell short (& flat) of their goal, yup it's so very flat next to Lightening in a bottle's uncomplicated, yet nuanced fall rain type scent. I think PM was inspired by the Northern Pacific combo of rain & woods in the fall on this one.

I would posit this is more masculine than unisex, only because it's not sweet at all, and so as an experience of autumnal ambiance it works well for a guy. It reminds me of Thunder in the beginning: that soapy clean watery sharpness, but it fades after about 15-20 minutes and the other notes assemble into a warm cozy mix, which I like, it still has a clean characteristic to it. I'm figuring my Quince will approve.

Gents, if you shy away from unisex designations, know that this one truly is appropriate for a male.

I would posit this is more masculine than unisex, only because it's not sweet at all, and so as an experience of autumnal ambiance it works well for a guy. It reminds me of Thunder in the beginning: that soapy clean watery sharpness, but it fades after about 15-20 and the other notes assemble into a warm cozy mix, which I like, it still has a clean characteristic to it. I'm figuring my Quince will approve.

Gents, if you shy away from unisex designations, know that this one truly is appropriate for a male.

Yes, exactly. I would also add that if you enjoy attractive women glued to you because you smell wonderful, it's also appropriate for you :001_302:

Edited by Beccah

I would posit this is more masculine than unisex, only because it's not sweet at all, and so as an experience of autumnal ambiance it works well for a guy. It reminds me of Thunder in the beginning: that soapy clean watery sharpness, but it fades after about 15-20 and the other notes assemble into a warm cozy mix, which I like, it still has a clean characteristic to it. I'm figuring my Quince will approve.

With me, it is just the opposite impression. It is dry and a bit more masculine at first, but on both me and my man, it is sweeter and more "perfumey". This one will probably end up on my shelf rather than his.

Edited by Dolly

I have posted elsewhere that Mara's nature scents are on my automatic FB list, and Lightning in a Bottle is a perfect example of why that is. This one is just freakin' gorgeous from start to finish. Autumn is my favorite season and while this version of it doesn't conjure memories for me like some of her other takes on that season have, it still brings an involuntary smile to my face every time I catch a waft.

I ordered this in the spray, so bear that in mind when reading this review (I think the method of delivery can definitely affect a scent's perception). I put a spritz in my hair and another on each arm. In my hair, I get the whole description with the exception of the smoke- it doesn't show up either on my skin or in my hair, or if it does, it's so well blended that my nose isn't recognizing it as smoke! It's walking through the woods, in the fall, after a rain; cool, watery, woodsy, and a touch earthy. It's clean and fresh, but in that soft, rain-washed way that makes me want to sigh "aaahhhhh" :)

On my skin, it is softer still, and I get a lot more of the vanilla, which I can barely detect at all in my hair (a calm, non-foody vanilla...don't worry guys, no cupcakes in here!) I would have to agree with Dolly that, on my skin anyway, it's sweeter and more "perfumey" than the version I get from my hair. But when I close my eyes and try to imagine the same scent on a man, I can still totally see it working. I don't think this would smell feminine on a guy at all, yet it does not strike me as masculine on me- I would call it genuinely unisex. Skin chemistry plays a role in it as always, I'm sure, but I'd urge anyone interested in this one but wary to try it because of the "unisex" designation not to be scared off on that account.

For those of you who have tried Totem Panda and loved it, how would you rate this compared to Panda? I am looking for an Open Windows scent, and since I haven't sniffed this one yet (but the notes and reviews sounds great) I need some input from the members. Thanks!

This is a very interesting scent and several of the descriptions here match my opinion.

I love most of the outdoor scents here. I spend a lot of time outdoors so any scent in that genre sparks my interest. When I first put this scent on, the acorn & earth combination threatened to go wonky but whatever it was that hit my nose funny was gone before dry-down. What us left is a very nice sense of autumn - the woods, earth, water and air that all go into that. I get everything in the ingredient list, except like Memorare, I do not pick up any of the smoke. But you could easily add in Sugared Smoke if you wanted that note to be more prominent.

The next thing I will say is that on my skin, the scent is like ssupytalp says, sheer. Not feminine, but very light despite wearing the same amount I always wear in an oil based scent. I can barely tell the scent is there. This scent is what I would consider true unisex. Like Luna says, it is overall a very dry, very out-doorsy, very autumn scent that is very appropriate for a guy. I do not however get the soapy, clean notes that she picks up on although the water and ozone accords are definitely there. The vanilla, however, is certainly there as a note and gives Lightening in a Bottle just enough of a (non-feminine) sweetness that this scent can work for a lady IMO. So I also agree more with Dolly on that part.

If you like outdoorsy scents, then certainly give this a try whether you are a guy or a lady. I doubt you will be let down.

This is a very interesting scent and several of the descriptions here match my opinion.

I love most of the outdoor scents here. I spend a lot of time outdoors so any scent in that genre sparks my interest. When I first put this scent on, the acorn & earth combination threatened to go wonky but whatever it was that hit my nose funny was gone before dry-down. What us left is a very nice sense of autumn - the woods, earth, water and air that all go into that. I get everything in the ingredient list, except like Memorare, I do not pick up any of the smoke. But you could easily add in Sugared Smoke if you wanted that note to be more prominent.

The next thing I will say is that on my skin, the scent is like ssupytalp says, sheer. Not feminine, but very light despite wearing the same amount I always wear in an oil based scent. I can barely tell the scent is there. This scent is what I would consider true unisex. Like Luna says, it is overall a very dry, very out-doorsy, very autumn scent that is very appropriate for a guy. I do not however get the soapy, clean notes that she picks up on although the water and ozone accords are definitely there. The vanilla, however, is certainly there as a note and gives Lightening in a Bottle just enough of a (non-feminine) sweetness that this scent can work for a lady IMO. So I also agree more with Dolly on that part.

If you like outdoorsy scents, then certainly give this a try whether you are a guy or a lady. I doubt you will be let down.

Thanks, great review! I tried Pinnacle and thought that was way too green and manly for me. But, if Sugared Vanilla works well layered with this, then I might give it a try over Totem Beaver.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Open Windows... but this one stayed so stabby on me that I had to wash it off after 20 minutes. It is very clean and a tad masculine to me... woody and earthy. Very grounding. I wish I got more of the Vanilla in this because maybe that would temper it enough so I could enjoy it. I think I may try layering a couple of my Sugared Vanillas with it and that may soften whatever it is that is jabbing me in the sinuses Maybe the Ozone and water accords (?) Ozone doesn't usually bother me much, but some water notes do, therefore I'm thinking the combo is what takes over on my skin. If my sugared experiment works I'll review here ;)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Open Windows... but this one stayed so stabby on me that I had to wash it off after 20 minutes. It is very clean and a tad masculine to me... woody and earthy. Very grounding. I wish I got more of the Vanilla in this because maybe that would temper it enough so I could enjoy it. I think I may try layering a couple of my Sugared Vanillas with it and that may soften whatever it is that is jabbing me in the sinuses Maybe the Ozone and water accords (?) Ozone doesn't usually bother me much, but some water notes do, therefore I'm thinking the combo is what takes over on my skin. If my sugared experiment works I'll review here ;)

I had the same experience. It is very sharp on me. I ordered a bottle of Sugared Vanilla just so I can layer it over this and Mean business in case they were to turn out too masculine for me... well, the vanilla gets lost in the sharpness of the Lightning in a Bottle. Only after a while do I start notice some sweetness come through. And I layered a lot more Sugared Vanilla than LiaB.

This might be a left for fiance to wear, since he liked Open Windows in Valhala, but I was only able to get a sample of it from the trade forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too cutie.pie!

I find the earth notes interesting to smell, but not as much to smell on me as a scent. I love the things they invoke emotionally or in a scent memory way. They're wonderful in the oil warmer, or to make into a spray mist for throws and pillows to change thing up a bit around the house :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today this smells completely different on me: lots of water, ozone, and earth. The puff of vanilla that was apparent on application disappeared almost immediately. I like it even better this time around!

Edited by donsie

• 11 months later...

I originally snagged a sample of this for myself because I love Open Windows and masculine scents but gifted it quickly to my boyfriend when I realized this wore too sharp for my tastes. He didn't try this until recently but was quick to compliment the scent once he did. He had never tried OW before and we are still not sure if he likes it, at least in the workplace (he usually uses SWS and mentioned his bosses seemed to avoid/stink eye him a bit, but he had missed several days of work. There has been tension in his workplace where he is currently trying and somewhat successfully climbing the corporate ladder, though not in a "typical" or expected fashion.)

He is normally fond of clean non-musky scents and I adore edgy atmospheric scents; between the fresh aquatic notes and the smoky earth connotations, this hits a rare and beautiful balance we both can enjoy.

Edited by mcreepers

That is awesome. I saw your review and was just thinking, I wonder how this has aged. It was kind of sharper than I really wanted. I wore it maybe twice but perhaps it should be given another chance. :)