Flying Potion 2023 w/Levitation

AD-FlyingPotion-Spray.jpg.61ebd69682bec575d67d1b129739d947.jpg

Scent: Fluffy, light and elevating! A happy marshmallow scent with a hint of creamy ylang ylang, a touch of cider spice, and a splash of tangy grapefruit and cassis.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:
MARSHMALLOW ROOT ~ Fertility, happiness, creativity, increase in psychic awareness, intuition, love, protection, exorcism. Gently commanding and persuading.
YLANG YLANG ~ Strongly sensual, attraction, attention, irresistibility, soothes marital problems.
LICORICE ~ Love, lust, fidelity, sexual potency.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
GRAPEFRUIT ~ Refreshes and uplifts the spirit, eases exhaustion, beauty and youth glamour.
CASSIS ~ Love, fertility, abundance. Healing, money attraction, protection.
ALLSPICE ~ Luck, health, prosperity, money.
NUTMEG ~ Strengthens clairvoyance, luck, money, health, fidelity.
CINNAMON ~ Male sexual stimulation, passion, lust, healing, protection, energy, creativity, psychic powers.

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first impression of Flying Potion (2023):

On 10/16/2023 at 3:56 PM, Onyx said:

Flying Potion: It smelled somewhat boozy and sparkly in the bottle and then kind of like soda when I applied it. I guessed that this was Flying Potion, but then I changed it to Pumpkin Pink, and apparently, it actually is Flying Potion! I need to test this again later. 

I've had this for 10 days now and it still smells the same to me. It reminds me of a root beer drink with marshmallows floating on top. I think the liquorice and vanilla may be the ones giving me the soda vibe. It is quite light and very sprayable, but it's too faint for me. I only really smell this if I get very close to my skin.

Mr. Onyx said, "This one reminds me of a flower, sort of. Like a meadow. Like a musky flower." I think he might have been detecting the ylang-ylang. I asked him if he likes it, and he said, "It's okay, but it's quite strong." This is very interesting because I find it very faint! I even asked him which is more potent: Ever Moor (currently on my left arm) or Flying Potion (on my right arm). He said the one on my right arm is stronger to him. 😱

I think I might be somewhat desensitized to marshmallow notes or accords. I have a different fragrance which is just marshmallow and it also smelled very faint to me when I tried it. I thought it just needs rest. Other fragrances that have marshmallows but not as their main note did not seem to have the same issue for me. 

Interestingly, I can smell this better when it's somewhat farther away from me. With my arm down, I can catch better whiffs of that fluffy marshmallow and a hint of that root beer-esque vibe. When I lift my arm to my nose, it hides. 🫣 I can still smell it, but it's more spices than marshmallow. 

I will leave my sample alone for a long time. I want to properly smell this later in its full effect. I think I can still smell how it is, but its potency is currently severely diminished for me. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 11:10 PM, Onyx said:

and it still smells the same to me. It reminds me of a root beer drink with marshmallows floating on top.

Heh, maybe that’s why I like it. I have a thing for root beer. I’m not really getting a strong root beer note, but I can see how it could come across that way. Definitely smell the marshmallow root, which is also a favorite scent for me. It’s not overly strong on me either, but I can definitely smell it. Every now and again I get a whiff of it and wonder what smells so nice. I only have a sample right now, but I’m seriously considering fixing that problem. 

21 hours ago, Onyx said:

What does marshmallow root smell like? Is it similar to marshmallows? 

Well, it’s kind of a mild, pleasant earthy, maybe a bit of mild licorice in taste and smell and not really very sweet on its own. But it was used in the original marshmallow recipes back in the very old days instead of using gelatin . My grandmother had a marshmallow recipe using the root powder. Store bought stuff does not compare!

@Onyx.  Marshmallow powder is not quite as pretty smelling as Flying Potion...

The recipe is a bit finicky and might take some trial and error to get right. It’s also in metric- I added the conversion measurements.

Old Fashioned Marshmallows 

75 ml water

125 grams (1/2 C) white sugar

75 grams (1/4 C) glucose syrup or corn syrup

one egg white

~1 Tablespoon (add more for a firmer marshmallow) marshmallow power 

1/4 tsp cream of tartar (optional, but helps stabilize)

50/50 mix of cornstarch and icing/powdered sugar

*Boil water, sugar and glucose syrup to 121* Celsius (or 250* F). If it gets too hot, add a little more water to bring the temperature down.

*Meanwhile with a stand mixer, whip the egg white to stiff peaks.

*While still mixing at moderately high speed, slow add the sugar water - important that the temperature of the water is 121 C or 250 F. If the temperature is off too much it won’t work right. The hot sugar water should be cooking the egg whites as it’s mixed in.

*Keep mixing until the mixture cools to room temperature.

*Mix marshmallow root powder and cream of tartar with 1 tablespoon water and add it to the room temperature sugar-egg mixture.

*Mix to incorporate it all.

*Pour out on baking/parchment paper.

*Coat with 50/50 cornstarch and powdered sugar

*Let cool for a few hours and then cut into small squares.

Edited by RosesArePink

19 hours ago, Onyx said:

I do look forward to trying my sample later on again. I am curious how ageing will change my perception of the scent. 

You are welcome!

You never know, I’ve had a few LPs that became stronger and bloomed more after aging for a bit. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s magic! Or maybe alchemy.

On 12/8/2023 at 3:22 PM, Onyx said:

@RosesArePink, was there anything you did not like as much after it aged or were they all scents you liked even more? 

Mostly I am attracted to pink or vanilla or fruity or sweet scents, so those have have aged nicely. But there have been a few that changed in less than ideal ways for my nose. Wisdom with Open Windows became more masculine as it aged. But I give to my brother and it works great on him.

3 hours ago, RosesArePink said:

Mostly I am attracted to pink or vanilla or fruity or sweet scents, so those have have aged nicely. But there have been a few that changed in less than ideal ways for my nose. Wisdom with Open Windows became more masculine as it aged. But I give to my brother and it works great on him.

I enjoy those scents too! I have Wisdom that I'm still trying out. I look forward to seeing how it changes. 

• 2 months later...

Once again I can't do a comparative review because I lost my original bottle of FP in the fire, but this is pretty close to the original I would say, however it wears really soft and light on me.  Because this does not really deepen on my skin I could see layering it with some other scent, like something vanilla-centric.