Black Cat's Pie of Power

Beccah

AD-PE-BlackcatPOP.jpg

Black Cat chose this name, and I found this Cthulu Octipie image to go with it - come on, it's hilarious. I crack up every time I look at it. Anyway, in the tradition of the Prophetic Pie, Black Cat crafted an empowering melange of elderberry, walnut, pie spices and a delightful choice of rosewood for the base.

• 4 weeks later...

Tink!

I keep wanting to have time to do it justice.... I moved this weekend so I have been at sixes and sevens. But let me give at least a preliminary review.

This is a total power potion. It takes a bit of getting used to -- I asked Mara for something dark, earthy and herbal and wow, this delivers! It is maybe the darkest LP I have ever smelled. I picked notes that would speak to magic and darkness. In fact, let's just get the notes out there:

ELDERBERRY ~ A lure for the Fae. Long considered a highly potent magical plant. Healing, induces visions and dreams, creativity, twigs used as a charm against illness.

WALNUT ~ Leaves promote fertility, carry nuts to delay pregnancy. Wishes granted, strengthens the heart, enhancement of mental powers. Dark earthly powers.

ROSEWOOD ~ Love, spreads an exotic aura, mystery, darkness. Enhances psychic powers, healing, divination, luck, protection.

This is the complementary pairing to my Cottage perfume. This is what I wrote to Mara:

"So they are a pair -- Black Cat's Cottage is the light/day side of things, meant to echo the atmosphere I'd love to create, which I envision as clean and airy and light-filled and open. With the smell of rosemary/lavender bread emanating from the kitchen!

Black Cat's Pie of Power (a nod to Prophetic Pie there, which remains one of my all time favorites!) is the complementary darkness/night aspect -- rich, powerful, a bit of dark and stormy night outside while the Pie of Power bakes in the oven and candlelight dances on the walls. :-) As always for me, not too sweet, even though it is pie!"

This one had a bit of travel shock, and I think it may also need to cure a bit. While I have already come to love it, I have a feeling that in a year's time it is going to be SPECTACULAR (Persephone Potion and Opal have both been like this). It goes on a bit raw and very intense -- I think the rosewood makes it initially quite medicinal. But as it settles.... the elderberries are tart and bright, and then the walnut and rosewood give it long gnarled roots reaching deep into the earth. It's a bit foody but also very atmospheric. It's interesting to think of it next to Persephone Potion... that one speaks so much to inward darkness, while this definitely is of the physical world. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, which is to let me ground myself and unleash my inner crone (inner for now, though becoming more outer with each passing year, obviously). I feel strong beyond measure and a bit terrifying when I wear it, like I'm on my way to becoming Granny Weatherwax (for you Pratchett fans).

So tink, I'm dying to hear what you think!

ETA because Rosewood, not Rose! I may still be a little tired. :-)

Edited by Black Cat

BC,

OK, are you back in your house after the remodeling? HOW IS IT? Is it amazing?

I was being very impatient because this one was practically screaming at me. I was so excited to get it and I was so curious about the intent. Thanks for the explanation! Now I know why I needed thus one. ?

I just got it last night and had to try it. Immediately I got POWER. It's beautiful and unique, much like Persephone Potion. I love it and huffed my arm all night. I can't explain to you how much I needed something like this, this powerful grounding potion. I have very similar aspirations as you do, in that I'm working on my inner crone as well and slowly turning it outward. Thanks for coming up with yet another amazing potion!!! Now that I know the intent, I can use it with focus. I'll keep you updated!

Tink!

So glad you are loving it.... and thanks for the kind words. I am actually just at the beginning of the process -- my house is finally emptied and ready to be torn apart, contractors are finishing their previous job, and I am {gulp!} camped out in my parents' spare room for at least the next two months. So I am relying on my Mara potions to give me strength and grace to feel grounded and at home even when I am so far out of my usual places! I actually pulled this out last night and slathered and I slept amazingly well.

House is going to be amazing when it's done though -- especially in the sense of being fully insulated and properly heated, which has not been the case for many a year. And all that savings on heating costs will let me order more potions! I love all LPs, but I thrive on my special creations. I can't believe Mara provides this unique and fantastic service!

Please do keep me updated on how this works for you in terms of channeling your Inner Domestic Goddess of Darkness. And I can't wait to see your next creation!

Tink!

So glad you are loving it.... and thanks for the kind words. I am actually just at the beginning of the process -- my house is finally emptied and ready to be torn apart, contractors are finishing their previous job, and I am {gulp!} camped out in my parents' spare room for at least the next two months. So I am relying on my Mara potions to give me strength and grace to feel grounded and at home even when I am so far out of my usual places! I actually pulled this out last night and slathered and I slept amazingly well.

House is going to be amazing when it's done though -- especially in the sense of being fully insulated and properly heated, which has not been the case for many a year. And all that savings on heating costs will let me order more potions! I love all LPs, but I thrive on my special creations. I can't believe Mara provides this unique and fantastic service!

Please do keep me updated on how this works for you in terms of channeling your Inner Domestic Goddess of Darkness. And I can't wait to see your next creation!

Oh see I couldn't remember if you were still waiting on the remodeling to start or not. I thought maybe I missed the part where it was in progress. I hope it all goes smoothly! I'm so excited for you! Good luck with your living arrangements. It will be over with in no time. I can't wait to hear about it when it's all down AND also heat about your work with this potion. ?

I picked this to wear this evening, well at about 330 this afternoon. After dinner, I wanted to do some laundry and dishes and then relax and watch some TV. I ended up going on this mini cleaning spree. It was pretty intense too and I had to make myself stop otherwise I think I could clean well into the early morning hours. I was surveying our house and all we have and I was feeling this love for what we've built for ourselves and gave my home a hug in my mind. ? I usually look around and think we need to organize, clean, and declutter. (We have a very tiny, humble little townhouse and with our collections of pottery, art, etc that is not anything fancy.) I was looking around with a new perspective. I think this potion was working some major magic for me tonight. I have this overwhelming urge to cozy up our home and make it safe and healthy and warm. This would make a great wax melt!

Edited by tink333

Yay! I love the idea of looking around and wanting to give my home a hug.

I wore this over the weekend when I had to spend Saturday trucking all my bedding and other laundry over to my empty house and spend the day putting in a load, driving to my BFF's house to hang out. It kept me going. It's just full of strength. That's the best way I can characterize it.

• 3 weeks later...

On me this is a very linear sort of berry scent, which I like - the elderberry is sweet and tangy and it's really long-lasting!

I love all LPs, but I thrive on my special creations. I can't believe Mara provides this unique and fantastic service!

Yeah there are those who just love to make PEs all the time! I think it's great that Mara can cover all the bases: those who prefer to stick with her scents, those who always prefer to create their own, and those who fall somewhere in between.

The cthulhu pie is freaking hilarious. The rosewood tilts this surprisingly unisex or even masculine on me. For some reason it has a thick blue-purple gel-like consistency in my mind and it could be a really cool European men's bath gel / shampoo etc., the way Aesop does unexpected traditionally women's notes like rose for unisex/men. As soon as I put it on and while it was wet I felt a cool, actually almost cold rush of energy like a brisk wind....trippy!

• 2 months later...

So I finally got around to trying this one. What is it that makes it so dark? The elderberry? It feels so dark and syrupy sweet. I do get a bit of the pie spice. Not really any of the rosewood or walnut. Sometimes I do get a teensy bit of sharpness. Maybe that's the rosewood? Anyway, I can definitely feel the power in this one. I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes me tonight...