Onyx

The Peacock & the Lion Label Image

The Peacock & the Lion

(Label Image by AI)

A fruity floral crafted of a most regal pairing. The queen of flowers - the bold and fruity tuberose, beautifully blended with the colorful, sweet prickly pear, drenched in sweet honey and displayed on a lavish bed of tonka and soft sandalwood.

I don't know who commissioned this one so I was not able to add that information. As usual, this was way too floral for me on Day 0. Surprisingly though, it wasn't bitter. It was sweet. It was the sweetest out of everything I tried but not in a dessert way. I left it alone until yesterday, which was Day 6 after I received the package. It's still as sweet! I'm unsure how long this lasts on my skin because I wore it overnight and woke up not smelling it on my arms. I put a little dab on my clothing though, and it lasted there for perhaps 18 hours! It probably could last even longer but that clothing's in the wash now. This also seems to have more sillage compared to the other Private Editions I've tried. It was the first time I got asked whether I was trying on various perfumes even though I'd slathered others.

I liked this better when it rested more. I won't recognize tonka and I didn't get the sandalwood. I don't know if I've smelled tuberose and prickly pear by themselves, so I'm not sure if this is just ignorance on how they smell, but they smell like a singular note to me here, exactly fruity floral as described. I thought tuberose smelled like something close to jasmine or ylang-ylang but I'm not getting that at all. I'm also usually very sensitive to the presence of honey, especially here where it says they're drenched in it, but it's so well-blended I can't distinguish it by itself. Interestingly, to me, this also smelled very similar when wet and dried down. 

This is not my usual type of fragrance because I'm very into gourmand scents nowadays, and florals are usually bitter on me, but I quite like this one, especially because it somehow stayed sweet even during dry down. It's pretty potent too, so a little goes a long way. It's very well-named given its boldness in its potency, flamboyance in its sillage, and extravagance in its scent, very fitting for The Peacock & the Lion. I can see this going over well in a formal, dressy event because it will be a standout. 

I'm looking forward to whenever I get a creamy layering note. I want to try and see if adding creaminess to this will give it a cosy vibe. 

I just applied this one! The label is beyond gorgeous, so I wanted to try it just for that! But prickly pear usually doesn’t agree with me so I am really happy Mara included a sample of this to try. Immediately I’m getting honey and the prickly pear so we’ll see how it changes after awhile, I hope the tuberose comes out because it’s so rich (on me) and just makes me feel like a glamorous grown up lady! So far though the prickly pear is not as sharp as it usually is so I think that’s a good start👍🏼

It’s been about an hour and the pp has gone and the tuberose is finally coming to the front, with the honey. It’s smooth and rich like I love and the honey is soft also but staying sweet (I amp dirty honeys like crazy)  I don’t know enough about tonka to know if I’m smelling it or not but I think the sandalwood is keeping this smooth so the ingredients that don’t usually like me are all playing very nicely!
@OnyxThis would be so perfect for an adult night out!

18 minutes ago, Amanda said:

(I amp dirty honeys like crazy)

Same for me! I experienced that with OCCO: SLF and Honeyed Love Potion! For me, I think it's not just dirty honey. Even some fragrances that say, "with a touch of honey" smell like they poured a whole cup of it on me! I was amazed when I couldn't detect honey separately on this! 

• 2 months later...

"treated like a queen" ^ This feels exactly right! Now that this has had a nice long sit, I gave it a test and I kept thinking about how "princessy" it felt. Not like a pink or innocent or playful disney sort of princess, more regal, a crown princess on her way to becoming queen. I have to say the mood is almost... aloof? Even though she has a very strong and noble presence and wants to be noticed, I think it feels more pageant or ball than date night! It's really not my usual sort of scent, but I'd love to share this... maybe I can figure out decanting??