Onyx

AD-AmandaBeachSol.jpg.e1f92a1875de8a4a8e4b573ded8e4d7c.jpg

Amanda's Beach Sol

(Label image and name by Amanda)

The scent of sun-warmed skin after a day on the beach. Oily vanilla and sweet musk embrace fleeting hints of gardenia and salty seaweed. Sooo good!

On 8/6/2023 at 7:55 PM, Amanda said:

So my scent memory is from a vacation a couple years ago to Clearwater beach, I had put on some vanilla perfume early in the morning, slathered up with sunscreen and spent the happiest most magical day of my life at the beach! I feel like I met my soul that day for the first time in my life😂 At the end of the day, I still smelled a bit of the vanilla (might have been occo white) that sunscreen scent (unscented but just had that sunscreen scent that I can’t describe but I love it) and the salt on my hot skin. 
So I’m thinking maybe

-a non foody/powdery vanilla

-something gulf coast water salty

-nude musk and skin musk…those might be the same thing but I don’t like white musk on me usually or the Egyptian musks. I would love a double musk somehow though. Not dirty but something like my warm skin. 

-non coconutty sunscreen somehow
I would call it Nude Beach or something like that! 
Obviously I have a lot of “somehow” and “something like” in there so if anyone could help me narrow down what notes I’m asking for I would greatly appreciate!✌

eta: maybe a really light undertone of tahitian tiare or gardenia instead of the sunscreen note since that is different and hard to describe.🏼

I took a risk getting this one because I'm not usually into the notes in this fragrance. I wanted to get something foodie, but I decided to get this after seeing Mara's comments on how it turned out, and I also wanted to get a variety instead of just getting all gourmand scents. 

By the way, I did not let this rest yet! This is Day 0 impression from me. 

I did not like the initial sniff I got. At first, I wondered if it reminded me of some insecticide or pesticide, but my second time around with this, I realised it's gardenia! 🌼 It is very apparent in the beginning, and then eventually, it dries down to the very lovely oily vanilla and sweet musk. I could also smell that gardenia taking a backseat and I appreciate that it did stay true to the description of "fleeting hints of gardenia." That part actually lasts a good long while for me. I need to see how long this actually lasts because I had a wash before it faded. I haven't smelled the salty seaweed yet. 

I'm not sure if I'm getting the same magical vibe that Amanda is going for. However, the dry-down scent is something that is very special to me. It reminds me of the skin smell of a couple of very important people in my life. I used to think of it as similar to an anointing oil smell, but without much (if any) incense notes. It's a very lovely scent that is very comforting to me. Perhaps in that comfort, there is peace, and in capturing that scent, there is magic. 💖

Thank you @Amanda for commissioning this Private Edition, and thank you @Potion Master for this wonderful creation! 🙏

Oh my gosh, I am so excited!! I love the comforting memory it brings back to you! For me it’s a Florida beach but but I love that you have your own comforting flashback. 
I wasn’t sure about the “oily vanilla” description but I was trying for a sunscreen feel without it being the usual coconut sunscreens we’re all familiar with so maybe that’s what that involves. Thank you for your thoughts!🥰

Hmm... to me, the oily vanilla visual I get is someone's oily, sun-kissed shoulder after the sunscreen's white cast has faded from being in the water. 

womans_shiny_shoulder_hair_in_bun_shoulder_view_348272af-9955-4654-9f07-9e0d31eed7b6.png.a6a5958a14847f08c60a8b8db2f7f2b8.png

The dry down has lasted really long for me. It was probably around 12 hours since I did some swipes. I have to get up close but I can still faintly detect it on one of my wrists.

Ooh that’s a perfect visual! I’m so glad it lasted a long time. Here’s what I emailed Mara…

Here’s what I’m thinking…

Dry vanilla

Musk

Gardenia

Sea salt/your hand tinctured seaweed

I’m hoping for something to remind me of a beach day at Clearwater beach. Slightly salty, soft sweet skin musk with a dry vanilla and just a drop of gardenia. My sunscreen is unscented but it is made with monoi de tahiti oil so it has a very slight undertone of monoi, which I think is gardenia, but it’s not overpowering or strong at all. I would love this to linger. I met my soul at the beach that day so I was thinking of a play on the word soul for the name.

Still waiting on the mail today (not patiently at all!!) 

I am obsessed with this. OBSESSED!! It is soft and a close to the skin scent but it lasts forever! I still smell it into the next afternoon which makes me feel like “this is just me” (this is just what my body does bro☺️

The gardenia is perfect, it just floats in the background and doesn’t overpower anything like gardenia has a tendency to do. It’s soft enough to know it’s there without really being THERE, you know? It really does smell like my favorite sunscreen.
I don’t know how to describe the vanilla…it’s not foody and it’s not dry…it’s just wonderful, that’s all I can say about it. 

I’m not really getting a saltiness but it doesn’t take away from anything I had in my mind and I’m not missing it or wishing it was there. It’s just so so good, better than I was even hoping for!

The musk is a very soft and lingering smell that melds with everything else and doesn’t make it dirty or powdery or soapy like some musk does on me. This is probably what I get the ‘skin scent’ feel from though. It’s perfect.

Mara sent me a little vial of her hand tinctured seaweed so maybe I can play around with a little dab under a roll of the fragrance and see what develops. 
@Potion Master I love this so so much! I got it 3 days ago and after putting it on right away, I’ve been wearing it every day since! I tried it first kind of high up on my inner elbow and behind my hair in case my cat didn’t like it but he keeps licking the part of my arm that it’s on so I think he’s ok with it! Thank you oh so much!🥰🥰

1 hour ago, Amanda said:

The gardenia is perfect, it just floats in the background and doesn’t overpower anything like gardenia has a tendency to do. It’s soft enough to know it’s there without really being THERE, you know? It really does smell like my favorite sunscreen.

Yes! The initial scent to me is strong gardenia but I got used to it and I really like how it fades so nicely. 🌼☀ I'm glad this captured your favourite sunscreen's scent! By the way, last night, I tried layering this with Creme Cake (which has coconut cream) and I think they went really well together! I was looking up the monoï oil you mentioned and it seems it's made from soaking tiare flowers in coconut oil. I'm now considering picking up a bottle. 

1 hour ago, Amanda said:

I’m not really getting a saltiness but it doesn’t take away from anything I had in my mind and I’m not missing it or wishing it was there. It’s just so so good, better than I was even hoping for!

Mara sent me a little vial of her hand tinctured seaweed so maybe I can play around with a little dab under a roll of the fragrance and see what develops. 

I'm still not smelling but the saltiness, but I noticed that I've been getting this salty taste in the back of my throat. I thought it's due to the food that I've been eating, but I realised that I have not eaten anything yet since waking up and I have that same salty taste. I've just been trying out fragrances again today and slathered your Beach Sol again. I wonder if that's how I'm picking up the salty seaweed. 

I truly like this fragrance. If there is any left, I'm interested in getting this in spray form. That would be so lovely. 🌼🏝⛱

@Amanda I am so glad you are enjoying it!

The seaweed note is definitely in there - I can smell it. I think it adds to the overall beachyness of it without being overt. I was trying to be mindful not to add too much. We do this blend called Mermaids of Atlantis, and some think it has too much seaweed, and I didn't want to ruin this experience for you. So I included that extra vial in case you wanted to pour some into your bottle and make it more seaweedy. Layering is a good idea too! Have fun with it! ❤️

24 minutes ago, Potion Master said:

The seaweed note is definitely in there - I can smell it. I think it adds to the overall beachyness of it without being overt. I was trying to be mindful not to add too much. 

It's blended very well! I was looking for the briny scent, but I'm glad you did it the subtle way. It's like walking by the beach with all its natural scents. If the briny scent is removed, it would feel like a synthetic beach perhaps, like grass scents that don't quite smell right because they don't have the underlying geosmin scent. 

@Onyx It’s so funny that you mentioned the salty taste because I’ve noticed it too and just thought it was my new breath mints or something 😂

@Potion Master The seaweed itself doesn’t smell salty to me but it definitely has that slimy ocean plant smell. Now that I’ve smelled it in the vial I think I can actually detect it a little. I will play with it and see what it does to the overall fragrance but I think it’s pretty darn perfect as is, I just love it! I can’t thank you enough 🙏🏼 

Also wanted to add @Onyx monoi de tahiti oil smells amazing! It’s much more tropical than just coconut and an absolutely gorgeous scent. It reminds me of gardenia, like a Tahitian gardenia so it’s tropical and exotic smelling. Like Tahitian vanilla just has that extra oomph. I bet everything in Tahiti just smells dangerously delicious 😂 

7 hours ago, Onyx said:

It's blended very well! I was looking for the briny scent, but I'm glad you did it the subtle way. It's like walking by the beach with all its natural scents. If the briny scent is removed, it would feel like a synthetic beach perhaps, like grass scents that don't quite smell right because they don't have the underlying geosmin scent. 

That's a very astute observation, Onyx!

4 hours ago, Amanda said:

@Onyx It’s so funny that you mentioned the salty taste because I’ve noticed it too and just thought it was my new breath mints or something 😂

@Potion Master The seaweed itself doesn’t smell salty to me but it definitely has that slimy ocean plant smell. Now that I’ve smelled it in the vial I think I can actually detect it a little. I will play with it and see what it does to the overall fragrance but I think it’s pretty darn perfect as is, I just love it! I can’t thank you enough 🙏🏼 

omg, LMAO! I love this!!!!

Maybe I should just offer vials of seaweed oil to those missing the beach! :lol:

And I am really so pleased that you are enjoying it. Thank you!

@Amanda I'm glad you're around! I was actually thinking of messaging you. I'm planning to get a new bottle of oil because I'm running out of my current one. I am very curious about Monoï de Tahiti. Do you have any particular brands or sellers you recommend? I'm curious to compare the gardenia of that one to Beach Sol

Your perfume truly made me like gardenia, by the way. I think a long time ago, I may have used a mosquito repellent that they scented with gardenia or something similar, that's why I associate the scent with pesticide/insecticide. I am usually not into florals, but the way Mara used it in this fragrance makes it very appealing to me. So much so that I am curious about the oil now too! That is something I would have avoided in the past. 

I am also curious if you ever add more seaweed! Will it give more mermaid vibes? 🧜🏻‍♀️🌼🏖

1 minute ago, Potion Master said:

omg, LMAO! I love this!!!!

Maybe I should just offer vials of seaweed oil to those missing the beach! :lol:

And I am really so pleased that you are enjoying it. Thank you!

I'm not missing the beach, but if you still have some seaweed oil vials, I am interested lol. 😁

1 hour ago, Amanda said:

@Onyx I just ordered the last 2 bottles of this, do you want one? I’d be happy to share!

Yes! You are so sweet @Amanda! 🤗 I'm not sure if the two are separate from the spray that I just ordered from @Potion Master. I haven't paid the invoice yet though because I want to pick up a few trial vials in case my invoice needs to be updated. 

On 9/21/2023 at 10:13 PM, Amanda said:

Also wanted to add @Onyx monoi de tahiti oil smells amazing! It’s much more tropical than just coconut and an absolutely gorgeous scent. It reminds me of gardenia, like a Tahitian gardenia so it’s tropical and exotic smelling. Like Tahitian vanilla just has that extra oomph. I bet everything in Tahiti just smells dangerously delicious 😂 

By the way, @Amanda, I was meaning to message you about any particular brands/sellers of Monoï de Tahiti oil you recommend but apparently, I cannot send messages. 😅 I am allowed to send 0 messages per day. 🤐😂

Oh good, I didn’t want to be too greedy!😂

I tried messaging you too and got the same message. Monoi Tiki Tahiti makes a really good product, if I’m allowed to say that here. I tried it first from eBay but then tried to find more authentic places to get it. I don’t know where to get my favorite sunscreen anymore, I got it from a little swim shop and can’t find it anywhere online. 

39 minutes ago, Potion Master said:

Private messenging is disabled on this forum.

Oh, thank you! I thought it was just because of my rank. 

38 minutes ago, Amanda said:

Oh good, I didn’t want to be too greedy!😂

I tried messaging you too and got the same message. Monoi Tiki Tahiti makes a really good product, if I’m allowed to say that here. I tried it first from eBay but then tried to find more authentic places to get it. I don’t know where to get my favorite sunscreen anymore, I got it from a little swim shop and can’t find it anywhere online. 

Thank you! I appreciate your consideration of others! ❤️ I think it might be okay since it's a different type of product. They don't sell sunscreen or at least not that I've seen. 

I've been trying to resist putting this on but I wanted a comforting scent, so now I'm wearing it again. It's soooo good🥰

I'm so glad I got this blend, I was nervous as I do not like suntan oil perfumes, this is Florida in a bottle... I love love this blend so much, I close my eyes and I feel as if I'm walking along the beach, smelling all of the same scents I smell when I visit family in Florida each year...

I so hope this blend gets remade again, this is truly a unique and very magical blend for those folks that love the beach and want to be transported back...

@Amandathank you so much for creating this, I love this more than the blend I created for my beach experience...

Oh wow, I am so glad you guys love this as much as I do! It was created from a day very personal to me so I love that it resonates with you too!

No one has asked me what I’m wearing yet and I’m dying for them to ask😂 

I guess I’m not really diffusing this very far, it is a “personal bubble” type of scent on me but I’m not mad at that, it’s like a special moment just for me.🥰

Great review, @dolphindolls2! It seems you must have a natural body chemistry that lends itself to having good sillage for scents. I saw one of your review comments for Black Panther where someone asked where you purchased your perfume.

I think it's the same for me, @Amanda with regards to diffusion. 😂 Although I have mostly, perhaps even exclusively, just worn this at home so far. I can smell it on myself though and enjoy it very much. 💗

@dolphindolls2 I’m curious how you wear your scents? (Like what areas and how much) Maybe Onyx is right and it your chemistry, or maybe it is the way you wear them? I don’t tend to do the 2-3 lines of belly to cleavage. I usually do neck, black of neck, behind ears, wrists, and sometimes wrist to inner elbow. I’m also curious if the new version of black panther is close to the original? 

27 minutes ago, Femmefatale said:

@dolphindolls2 I’m curious how you wear your scents? (Like what areas and how much) Maybe Onyx is right and it your chemistry, or maybe it is the way you wear them? I don’t tend to do the 2-3 lines of belly to cleavage. I usually do neck, black of neck, behind ears, wrists, and sometimes wrist to inner elbow. I’m also curious if the new version of black panther is close to the original? 

@Femmefatale and @Onyx,

After I shower and before getting dressed.  I take the bottle and do one large and long stripe down from my neck area to my belly button and then right under my breasts I place a side to side stripe across and then I place a stripe from my elbow to my wrist on each hand...I also put a small stripe down from my waist to my knee....I have found over the years this is the only way I get the scent to last on me.

The NEW Black Panther is just as good or better then the original version from many years. Over the years there have been a few re-brews, so in total I have owned 23 bottles not counting the new stash I have...

@dolphindolls2 thank you for a specific description. I think the reason why I haven’t tried that is even though my body will warm it up, I fear that if the perfume is under my clothes, then it won’t be able to escape the fabric and be smelled, but if you are often getting compliments by people that aren’t an inch away, it must be a wrong assumption. The other issue is I don’t always have time to be be naked for 15-20 mins to wait for it to dry down, but when I do have time I should experiment. I’m thinking more product is probably used the way you do it, so that might also be a factor. 

Thank you, @dolphindolls2! I'm just testing them nowadays so I've mostly been putting them on my arms. I can't do fragrances on my chest area at this time, but I can try the other places you put them on. 

@Femmefatale, I have not waited for these scents to dry down for that long! 😆 I just put them on and get dressed as usual or apply them afterwards. Perfume under the clothes works well I think. Some of it does get on clothing, so the scent remains through that even when it fades from the skin. I try to be more careful nowadays though, because I slathered this last night just before going to bed, and I put on too much that some got on my face and made it itchy! 😅 I had to change out of my top as well because it somehow absorbed the scent. 

So I wore this over a little occo:vanilla and somehow it made it saltier! After I smelled the vial of seaweed, I was able to recognize it in the fragrance but the occo somehow brought it out even more. Maybe it’s the cops? Idk, i haven’t tried it with unscented cops yet but I do have sheer essence so I’ll try that and see, that’s a pretty easy one to cover since it’s sheer. 

So I’ve had this on for the last 2 almost 3 days and I can still smell it on arms and clothes! The shelter I work at is being taken over by another county and I can’t work with them anymore (their euthanasia policies are way different than ours) so I haven’t left the house, I’m jobless and a little depressed at the moment. I applied it in the bend of my elbows and on my stomach, probably just three times maybe, and even through sleeping I can still smell it! It’s been a wonderful reminder of my happy place and the comfort I’ve needed these last few days. @Potion Master Thank you so much for the way you put this together so masterfully 🙏🏼🥰

@Amanda, I am sorry you are going through that. ☹️ I am glad that this fragrance gives you some comfort. Thank you also for this fragrance; I have enjoyed it immensely. ❤️

Speaking of, I received the seaweed oil vial yesterday. I opened it just to sniff and, oh wow, salt of the sea!!! 😱🌊 I was not sure whether I actually wanted to put it on my skin. 😅 I decided to go for it. 🧜🏻‍♀️ 

I applied Beach Sol on both of my wrists and arms. I put a little seaweed oil on my left one. I could smell it quite strongly while it was wet, but then, it started melding into my skin and the scent somehow smelled like a more noticeable Beach Sol. So, I put more seaweed!!! 🧜🏻‍♀️🧜🏻‍♀️🧜🏻‍♀️ After the initial wet smell, once again, it enhanced the smell of Beach Sol. I could smell it more on my left wrist than on my right wrist where there was no seaweed oil. It also seemed to make it last longer. I woke up to my left wrist still having remnants of Beach Sol while my right wrist did not have it anymore. 

I have other scents I'm still in the process of trying, but I would like to go back to this again and repeat the seaweed experiment. 🧜🏻‍♂️

Oh good @Onyx! I was going to ask you if you’d gotten your seaweed yet! I haven’t been brave enough to try mine yet just because of the wet in the vial smell. I’ll definitely give it a go though, that sounds promising and I need something to kick me out of this funk and out of the house!

I hope that lifts you up, @Amanda! By the way, if I may, what I've found that can help is rediscovering something that you've previously not thought much of. It could be an activity, a connection, or even a trial/scent that you put aside because it's not for you. For the scent piece, I find it quite refreshing to go back to something and find that it gives me joy now! 😊

@OnyxI just got Topper🥳 and I’m going to wear it with everything, hopefully that will help. Teddy is also a great one for selfies for me, so both should give me the boost I need to get out there and find a new purpose!
So the seaweed had the opposite effect for me than it did for you! My right arm, with the extra seaweed, I can’t smell at all this morning. Body chemistry man, it’s such a weird thing.

That's so interesting, @Amanda! I did have monoï oil underneath as my post-wash moisturiser when I tried it. (Thank you so much for mentioning that, by the way!) I wonder if that affected my results. 

You mentioning the word purpose reminded me of the books: Man's Search for Meaning and The Purpose Driven Life. I've recently been meaning to get back into reading books that are not digital. I'm looking forward to experimenting to see which scents might go well with the books I read, or perhaps just something to smell while I am reading.