Sweet Leaf

Beccah

AD-SweetLeaf_540x.jpg?v=1633320905

Photograph Courtesy of Zoe of WIcked VIsIon Photography (c) 2021

Scent: Warm and moderately sweet, vanilla maple pipe tobacco.

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:

TOBACCO ~ Healing, purification, spiritualism. An ode to the Gods.

VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.

MAPLE ~ Love attraction, longevity; money attractant.

MUSK ~ Self confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to love pipe tobacco scents in general, but I knew I would like this when Mara told me she was using the maple-y pipe tobacco from SUPER in this one.  AH IT IS SO GOOD!  It does kind of dominate the whole thing in the wet stage, at least on me, although the vanilla is a nice layer underneath.  The musk gives it a nice plush quality, it's like a skin scent but more pronounced.  It is sweet but not gourmand - so don't be scared, guys.  I think it would come off so sexy to anyone who you'd like to get close-up and personal with.  And much like SUPER this one has great sillage and is pretty linear, a good day-into-night or a very LONG night kind of scent.

Fragrances that have maple can be a problem for me.  I love tobacco scents, and vanilla and musk are sure bet friends of mine 🙂

So far (I’ve only tested it once) the maple stayed true to a nice maple scent.  Maybe because there are no accompanying gourmand spices is why this maple works for me.  Or maybe it’s the lack of patchouli.  Whatever the reason, this is a maple I can wear.  

I’d happily wear this especially in autumn.  It is a cozy delectable scent. I’d be equally happy to smell it on a guy.  Oftentimes unisex scents still play out as “somewhat masculine but not too much so”.  Not this one. This is an anybody fragrance. 

I will need to revisit this one after it has recovered from its jet lag. I didn't give it a full week as I love pipe tobacco. (To the point that I tried to pick up pipe smoking at the age of 13. Actual smoking vs the smell was a completely different and disappointing experience. ☠😆)

My skin really elevated the maple note. To be fair it is a pleasant & enjoyable note, but the tobacco kept floating as the faintest hint in the background. Just teasing my nose...like a withholding little scent tease. I suspect that this is due to travel shock and will give Sweet Leaf a fair shot in a couple days and update my review.

@Eastwood22 - D, since you were asking about this, I don't think there's any resemblance between this and Teacher's Pest.  I did a comparison and TP is vanilla musk with tobacco whereas this one is a straight-up pipe tobacco scent, more along the lines of Adam's Nectar just in terms of the vibe.  If your guy has ever tried SUPER or UN and you've smelled it, then you would recognize a resemblance there as well.

I want to get a FB of this. Now that it’s had a chance to settle it’s becoming more complex.  At first all I really smelled was maple.  And I was relieved the maple was playing nice with my skin.  Today the tobacco and musk are showing up, and it went from a “nice autumn scent” to a “wear it anytime”  fragrance. 

12 hours ago, luna65 said:

since you were asking about this, I don't think there's any resemblance between this and Teacher's Pest.  I did a comparison and TP is vanilla musk with tobacco whereas this one is a straight-up pipe tobacco scent, more along the lines of Adam's Nectar just in terms of the vibe.

Thank you! Very much appreciated. We only had a sniffle of TP and it’s long gone, but I remember it being a cherry tobacco. 

@Eastwood22 Cherry tobacco pipe scent is one I used to adore.  I think I’m at the point now that I’d love it again.  My grandad used to smoke a pipe, and I loved him so much!  

But then, as an adult, back when I still lived in the city, there was this majorly creepy guy in my  building who had a thing for me, and he would stand just outside of the building entrance on the parking lot side, smoking  cherry tobacco in his pipe.  He was clearly hanging around waiting for me to come home.  He’d be in the building in a flash upon my arrival, timing it so we could have the lovely opportunity to ride up in the elevator together.  God it was so awful.

I was on the fence about this one, as far as getting a fb (I’m going to) due to the maple.  This note is still a little bit more prominent than I’d prefer, but I get the feeling that the longer it ages, the more the tobacco is going to come forward.  I plan to keep that fb for quite a while before breaking the seal….

4 hours ago, Eve said:

I plan to keep that fb for quite a while before breaking the seal….

Isn’t that the way with so many of these? I put on Pearfection yesterday for the first time in a year and it was to die for, it was not that good previously! 
BF just put this on 10 seconds ago, and walked out of the room, causing me to burst out with “whoa, what was that?” Already different than when it first arrived. FB for us as well. 

And @Eve, I hate that guy. 

I get some tobacco in the bottle, but on my skin this is the mapleyest maple to ever maple.  I assume that will back off as this ages,  but it is very sweet and cozy right now.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really sweet, beautiful scent. I get mostly maple and vanilla - smells good enough to eat/lick. Maple usually goes really wrong on me, so I'm guessing that the combination with the tobacco and musk ground it somehow. Whatever is happening, this is what I imagined and always hoped Rocket Fuel would smell like on me, but never did (except the latest version, which didn't smell liked I had burned something).  I highly recommend getting a bottle of this delicious concoction!

1 hour ago, luna65 said:

There must be something about the spice in Rocket Fuel that didn't agree with you, maybe?

Yeah, either that or the brown sugar combined with the maple. The 2020 version is wearable after 30 minutes, but the others smelled burnt on my skin. Sweet Leaf keeps that yummy, sweet maple vanilla smell.

This smells spectacular!  It reminds me ever so slightly of Teacher's Pest which was another total favorite of mine.  The glowing endorsement from my wife came in the form of a comment as I was getting ready to make a solo run to the grocery store.  "Where do you think you're going smelling that good by yourself?"  This scent was promptly relegated to scents I am not allowed to wear unless she's with me.  I need to buy one or eleven more bottles of it before it invariably sells out quickly.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:48 PM, Snoopyace said:

"Where do you think you're going smelling that good by yourself?"  This scent was promptly relegated to scents I am not allowed to wear unless she's with me.

You know I do that with many of my man’s scents, but he’s really enjoying Sweet Leaf. I think he wore it 3 or 4 times last week and that’s just not like him! He generally wears something different everyday, like me. Remind her that there’s no phero in it. Or did you get it boosted? 

1 hour ago, Eastwood22 said:

You know I do that with many of my man’s scents, but he’s really enjoying Sweet Leaf. I think he wore it 3 or 4 times last week and that’s just not like him! He generally wears something different everyday, like me. Remind her that there’s no phero in it. Or did you get it boosted? 

No phero in it.  That is purely Potion Master’s genius.

wet, I get a LOUD maple syrup. don't be scared though, it calms down after a few minutes. one it dries it's definitely maple syrupy but not gooey sticky sweet, and too tobaccoy to feel full gourmand, but again, give this enough time to dry. I really don't "get" the vanilla so it's probably contributing to my impression of the sweet maple, which is fully okay with me, because vanilla hasn't been my friend lately. if you're enticed by the idea of smelling sexy-edible without going full hog into caketown, this is great. it definitely straddles that line.

in the spirit of science, I pulled out my ancient vial of original super for men. super (at least to my nose as it has aged from--wow--2008) is more woody-fresh, with a more aggressive tobacco, and richer in a maple syrupy brown sugary sticky foody way. more rugged lumberjack AND more sticky sweet. sweet leaf is tamer, and more of a musky tobacco skin scent sweetened by that maple razzle dazzle. though they have their more striking elements in common, and if you liked those in super you'll surely like this one too, I wouldn't say they're similar; the effect and their structures are very different.

(I know this isn't a rebrew or even that they're meant to be compared or anything, and Un exists (which I haven't tried), but I was curious, and I figured someone else might be!)

anyway, I love it! it still has great throw but it wears closer than I expected after the loud opening, which I think is a good thing with this kind of scent, especially if it's going to be unisex and edible. tobacco/maple continues to be a fully next level combination and it really suits the season :)

For me to buy more than one fb of a perfume with maple in it, is a testimony of Mara’s genius.  
Maple is almost always a problem, but not for this one, and, I love tobacco scents to boot.

I’m another one who can’t wear Rocket Fuel (I think I passed mine one to Kayla, haha).  I agree it is probably due to the lack of certain spices, or patchouli in Sweet Leaf that makes the difference.

As i wore more my trial more and more,  my plans to keep a full bottle sealed in order to age over time, flew out the proverbial window. The solution, of course, was to buy more. I got one as a spray as well. :D

One day I accidentally applied on the same wrist as I was wearing Mourning Glory, and it didn’t smell bad at all.  It was quite nice.  

I’m not getting senile (promise). I just didn’t read up thread and catch what I wrote previously.  Talk about repeating yourself! But yes to clarify,  I LIKE  this maple.  I don’t like maple with autumnal spices apparently.

I wish editing was active again. I didn’t try to edit though,  I wonder if it’s turned back on….😐

On 11/9/2021 at 9:15 AM, asterism said:

(I know this isn't a rebrew or even that they're meant to be compared or anything, and Un exists (which I haven't tried), but I was curious, and I figured someone else might be!)

Well, you can compare them in the sense that they both have the same maple-y pipe tobacco accord.

• 6 months later...

I’m wearing this today…a bunch of this today! Just got out of the shower, perfume is my last step and the rollerball came out in the lid so I ended up dumping quite a bit of this all over my neck and chest when I went to do my little dab.😳 I figured I would review it!😂

Maple is something that usually is too much for me, I usually use very little for that reason, and right now I’m a walking vat of maple! BUT after about 20 minutes this settles into the most wonderful smokey vanilla musk and it is so dreamy! It turns into a really soft and close to the skin scent that I cannot get enough of. I’ve never worn this much so we’ll see how everyone else reacts while I’m out and about today. I have about an hour for it to settle and hopefully soften.🤦🏼‍♀️ If it didn’t take so much of my energy to shower I would just hop back in and start over but I think I’ll be ok…unless I’m already going nose blind and am not fully aware of how obnoxious I smell right now!

• 3 months later...

I wore this over occo vanilla yesterday just to give it a bit more throw, and wow does sweet leaf have throw! The two blended together beautifully and I am obsessed with the longevity of this, I still smell it today almost 24 hours later! I usually love the musky vanillas the most anyway but didn’t expect this to become a new favorite because of the maple. I have several new scents that I love, but this one I can definitely say is a new favorite.