Haunted Hallows

liz

AD-HauntedHallows.jpg?v=7516fd43adaa

Haunted Hallows

The freshly-turned earth of the grave and a heart of dry dusty vanilla made mysterious with a duo of dusky patchoulis and three mournful lily accords...this Gothic-minded blend is perfect atmosphere (either as fragrance or room scent) for a walk on the spooky side...if you dare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
EARTH ~ Grounding, centering, protection, renewal, reincarnation, life.
LILIES ~ Purity, modesty. Wards away evil, protects, and breaks love spells. Soothing and calming on the nerves. Sweetness, mental prowess, happiness.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts; sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money. Meditative and transforming.
SMOKE ~ In addition to the attributes of whatever is being burned (resins, woods, etc), smoke is for cleansing, purification, renewal, consecration, concealment and celebration.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just LOVE this one, not sure what my facsination w/the smell of funeral flowers is, lol. This scent reminds me of Forevermore, and I REALLY loved that one !

Anyone else tried this? My Mom should be getting the samples this coming week, can't wait to sample them with her :) I'm most excited for this one though, I LOVE the description and the label. Me and my friends used to go to cemeteries at night, back in the day. We took photos and tried to find orbs or any other unusual hauntings, lol, fun times. I love Halloween.

:huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, this strickes me as funereal and goth: very somber and a tad morbid! I like the dry down better when the lilies and earth step back a bit and the patchouli/smoke becomes more prominent.

This is a really fascinating scent. I'm all about the ghostly and eerie and morbid, so naturally I was drawn to it. The earth note isn't dirt-like or muddy at all, more like stone to me actually ; it's chilly, if that makes any sense, and adds depth to the somber element of the lily. The vanilla and patchouli round it out to give it approachability and a hint of something sensual, like a beautiful phantom drifting among the headstones.

• 2 weeks later...

nobody else tried this? I am interested to hear more...

The lily accords are very strong on me, but I tend to amp white floral notes. It does have a touch of earthy sweetness underneath, and an ethereal quality, just like the concept. If lily is one of your favorite florals then you should definitely give this a try.

• 1 month later...

This is beautiful. One of the most unusual scents I've ever smelled. Its definitely not an everyday scent but one for unique occasions. As soon as I put this on I felt its floaty, wafty quality.

On me this is, at first, very grounded: green and earthy. I can smell grass and earth freshly turned and then a sharp white lily note pierces through, its almost an acidic note that contrasts with the alkaline of the earthy notes. The smokey smell wafts in and out. This gives the impression of the lily floating above the ground like a heavenly body in a cemetary...

This is beautiful. One of the most unusual scents I've ever smelled. Its definitely not an everyday scent but one for unique occasions. As soon as I put this on I felt its floaty, wafty quality.

On me this is, at first, very grounded: green and earthy. I can smell grass and earth freshly turned and then a sharp white lily note pierces through, its almost an acidic note that contrasts with the alkaline of the earthy notes. The smokey smell wafts in and out. This gives the impression of the lily floating above the ground like a heavenly body in a cemetary...

I love your imagery! sounds like something that might be up my alley.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OK, now that I have secured my hoard of bottles on this, I will say: current runaway favorite! I ordered this with some other samples, and when I sniffed it in the vial I didn't get really get anything except some overwhelming flowery-ness. I set it aside and kind of forgot about it, until I saw Mara list it as one of her favorites. So I broke the sample out the other night, and fell in love.

When I put it on, I didn't really get the lilies at all--instead, it was a wonderfully earthy, damp essence. It really smelled like wet graveyard dirt--or like the IDEA of wet graveyard dirt (I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, so I kind of have graveyards on the mind!). I live in New England and it reminds me of the way dirt smells when you walk far into cool woods on a bright hot day, and stop by a fallen tree trunk that's rotting quietly into the earth.

For the first several hours, this was its own unique thing. I love patchouli, but other than the earthy quality of the scent, it didn't smell like patchouli to me. I kept smelling my arm all evening and it made me feel darkly happy. Then, it settled into a gorgeous lily scent. I often find lily scents in perfume cloying, too sweet and too perfect. This had the smell of fresh flowers with moist black dirt still clinging to the stems. (Again the dirt! Apparently I love it!)

And the next night, when I put on the tank top I wear to bed, I was overwhelmed with a fresh wave of beautiful lily scent.

So all the little goth girl parts of me (embarrassing to have so many at my advanced age!) are jumping for joy over this one. So glad I will have a sizeable stash, including enough to give some away!

I ordered this too. So glad Mara listed it as a fav or I may have missed it. The concept sounds great and I love unique scents.

OK, now that I have secured my hoard of bottles on this, I will say: current runaway favorite! I ordered this with some other samples, and when I sniffed it in the vial I didn't get really get anything except some overwhelming flowery-ness. I set it aside and kind of forgot about it, until I saw Mara list it as one of her favorites. So I broke the sample out the other night, and fell in love.

When I put it on, I didn't really get the lilies at all--instead, it was a wonderfully earthy, damp essence. It really smelled like wet graveyard dirt--or like the IDEA of wet graveyard dirt (I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, so I kind of have graveyards on the mind!). I live in New England and it reminds me of the way dirt smells when you walk far into cool woods on a bright hot day, and stop by a fallen tree trunk that's rotting quietly into the earth.

For the first several hours, this was its own unique thing. I love patchouli, but other than the earthy quality of the scent, it didn't smell like patchouli to me. I kept smelling my arm all evening and it made me feel darkly happy. Then, it settled into a gorgeous lily scent. I often find lily scents in perfume cloying, too sweet and too perfect. This had the smell of fresh flowers with moist black dirt still clinging to the stems. (Again the dirt! Apparently I love it!)

And the next night, when I put on the tank top I wear to bed, I was overwhelmed with a fresh wave of beautiful lily scent.

So all the little goth girl parts of me (embarrassing to have so many at my advanced age!) are jumping for joy over this one. So glad I will have a sizeable stash, including enough to give some away!

Wow, this review inspired me to purchase a bottle of this. Thanks so much for putting so depth into this review

Ahh ok your in N.E. I'm in NY and find I particularly like Mara's fall scents. She has a keen nose and a good memory (she has said she's from NY). She really can capture the true essence of Autumn, beyond the conventional commercial idea of the season. I'd never fully appreciate LPs fall fragrances had I not lived here. I'm originally from CA. There are farms there (in CA) but its not the same.

Hmm... The rush on HH in the sales bin prompted me to come check out this review. I do love unique scents; patch loves my skin; as dies lily. ... interesting. I'm going to go see if I have a sniffie to try. ...

If you have sniffle will you report back how you like it. I just purchased a bottle unabridged a rarity for me.

Ahh ok your in N.E. I'm in NY and find I particularly like Mara's fall scents. She has a keen nose and a good memory (she has said she's from NY). She really can capture the true essence of Autumn, beyond the conventional commercial idea of the season. I'd never fully appreciate LPs fall fragrances had I not lived here. I'm originally from CA. There are farms there (in CA) but its not the same.

The autumn fragrances are REALLY calling to me (one reason I'm so excited to get more of Haunted Hallows--I'm enjoying it this summer, obviously, but I think it will really come into its own when the weather gets a little cooler and leaves start to fall). The package that is winging its way towards me has Miss Luna's Autumn and Phantom's Breath and Wicked--I'm dying to try all of them! Any other fall recommendations?

Ooh, I haven't yet, but it's on my list for September, if supplies last! How would you characterize it? Is it more foodie or more earthy? (both are good, I'm just curious). Also, what are your thoughts on w/Lumina vs virgin?

Ooh, I haven't yet, but it's on my list for September, if supplies last! How would you characterize it? Is it more foodie or more earthy? (both are good, I'm just curious). Also, what are your thoughts on w/Lumina vs virgin?

I’m so horrible at describing scents but to me it feels like fall in a bottle, it’s like I’m at the orchard, smelling all of the scents of fall and just feeling like its Halloween.

Actually, I'd say that's an AWESOME description, and gives me a very good sense of it! Many thanks!

Fall is my favorite season, and Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I guess that's a yes, if supplies last...

The autumn fragrances are REALLY calling to me (one reason I'm so excited to get more of Haunted Hallows--I'm enjoying it this summer, obviously, but I think it will really come into its own when the weather gets a little cooler and leaves start to fall). The package that is winging its way towards me has Miss Luna's Autumn and Phantom's Breath and Wicked--I'm dying to try all of them! Any other fall recommendations?

I say All Hallows' Eve as well. I love it!

You have some really good scents on the way!!

I'm dying to get Wicked and it's on my list for this sale. :)

Others.. I like, but these are a bit of a different vibe sort of fall/ holiday Get Happy, I Scream For Halloween and Pumpkin Juice Cocktail. those are a little different, more foodie

..also another that gets raves, but I have not tried yet .. Guilded Season

I say All Hallows' Eve as well. I love it!

You have some really good scents on the way!!

I'm dying to get Wicked and it's on my list for this sale. :)

Others.. I like, but these are a bit of a different vibe sort of fall/ holiday Get Happy, I Scream For Halloween and Pumpkin Juice Cocktail. those are a little different, more foodie

..also another that gets raves, but I have not tried yet .. Guilded Season

Dang, now I have to go back and look up the reviews on the ones you mentioned, as Halloween is my favorite holiday ever !!!!!

I'd never fully appreciate LPs fall fragrances had I not lived here. I'm originally from CA. There are farms there (in CA) but its not the same.

You just weren't in the right part of CA! :P

Just teasing but, when I lived in the high desert, picking apples in Tehachapi was a wonderful Autumn experience. It's part of what helped me come up with Miss Autumn. I am thankful we've got so much geographic diversity here.

Not a lot of farms by the beach.. or anywhere I lived in CA. Did go to some farms in Ventura.. there was one that had a huge pumpkin patch. I have to dig out the photos.

To me, of the scents Ive smelled.. like All Hallows' Eve. I just get that NE vibe..

Even in this region it varies as far as what grows well ect...

I need to smell Miss Autum now, I'll probably think of Halloween in CA.

Ive never been to the Tehachapi area. The closest I'd say, environment wise was Serria Madre and my dad had a cabin in Lake Arrowhead for a time. Both parents being transplanted Eastcoasters they really wanted some snow in the winter I guess. lol

I do love that geographic diversity that is CA. :)

I just LOVE this one, not sure what my facsination w/the smell of funeral flowers is, lol. This scent reminds me of Forevermore, and I REALLY loved that one !

I remember reading this statement when I was looking at buying this last year and the fact that you stated you were not sure what your facsination was, made me pause and say...ohhh, who would want to smell like funeral flowers but then in my last shipment from LP, I got this as a sniffie and holy crap balls, I get it now....

Oh man...this is amazing to me right off the cuff (or should I say"bat",tee hee :) )

I'm literally covered in different stuff right now , and this deserves its own special review,slathered in it, knowing how it is hours after applying---but NOW?

Already,I adore it. It is sneaking into an old graveyard after hours with a bottle or two of wine. Taking pictures of old headstones,telling scary stories on a summer night. It IS THAT.

It's the weird sense of wonder you have about your own mortality when your young, and in a place like that. Thinking about how each of those stones was a life, and a person with dreams, family, loves and fears...its that piercing reality that gets through to you through the wine, and your friends, and what was meant to be a "cool" goth kid tryst though the graveyard hits to the heart of you.

You still enjoy it,it is peaceful, but you have more respect for what it really is now..

It's a resting place, and one day, your stone may make another rascally young kid feel the same. It's growing up a little,seeing the bigger picture...

That's the feeling I'm getting from this. It's an original work of art. My favorite so far out of the new ones I've tried.

The earth note recalls Forest Floor to me, but this has a totally different feel. It's bumped Risen off my full bottle list. Gorgeous.

Edited by cheeseburger79

CB, wow, I had to read that twice. Great review. I'm thinking I need another trip to the sale bin.

Really that was great. I'm to excited to try this. :)

Aw shucks, thanks! :blush:

This is one of the ones that really puts the "magic" in Magickal Perfumerie to me though.

It won't be for everyone, it's one of those real specific "time and place" scents,and very much a nature scent. In addition to the earth note, I agree with Invi's "stone" reference. Its cold like that.

I'm fascinated by descriptions of"Time of your Life" for the same reasons that I adore this one. Can't wait to smell that too.

If you have sniffle will you report back how you like it. I just purchased a bottle unabridged a rarity for me.

I found a rather large stash of a sniffies and samples I had at work and this baby was in there. I really love how unusual this one is, its like Mara captured Halloween and put it into a bottle. Its spooky, its dark and musty, its graveyard dirt and it makes you feel like someone is going to scare the carp out of you and second. As Cheese stated its a time and place scent, but its beautifully done.

Actually, I'd say that's an AWESOME description, and gives me a very good sense of it! Many thanks!

Fall is my favorite season, and Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I guess that's a yes, if supplies last...

I LOVE Halloween and all of the scents and smells that go along with it...

I was out shopping the other day when thunder clouds had moved in, threatening a deluge any second, when I noticed the scent of the air. It was absolutely something I had sniffed recently, and it took me a couple minutes to realize it was just like "Haunted Hallows". No joke. I think LP actually had one named "Petrichor" (I didn't get to try it), but the petrichor that was swirling around that day is pretty much what "HH" smells like.

This is an amazing scent. How best to describe .. obviously a terrific idea for the fall, you can definitely relate to the graveyard thing but that's not all there is to it. I get gardening in the moist, cool NE soil, leaves, cool earth and the mossy underside of a stone. Additionally, there is an airiness and a faint perfume'ish distant floral (to me it smells like Lily with a dash of mums).

It's just amazing.

If you enjoy the earthy scents of gardening you'll like this.

My mother ( 69) had the distinction of being here when I opened my package, it reminds her of gardening with her grandmother in RI. She requested her own bottle. :)

Edited by StacyK

This is an amazing scent. How best to describe .. obviously a terrific idea for the fall, you can definitely relate to the graveyard thing but that's not all there is to it. I get gardening in the moist, cool NE soil, leaves, cool earth and the mossy underside of a stone. Additionally, there is an airiness and a faint perfume'ish distant floral (to me it smells like Lily with a dash of mums).

It's just amazing.

If you enjoy the earthy scents of gardening you'll like this.

My mother ( 69) had the distinction of being here when I opened my package, it reminds her of gardening with her grandmother in RI. She requested her own bottle. :)

Oh, Stacy, I've been waiting to see how you liked it! So glad it worked for you too.

And I had the exact same experience with my mom (age 72). She is a serious gardener and landscape artist, as well as having a fondness for graveyards (her property borders a 200-year old Vermont cemetery). So I will probably need to make one more trip to the Bin.... because I've already given away as much of my own stash of this as I wish to part with!