Red Rum (Ron Rojo)

luna65

AD-RedRum.jpg

Scent: Red Rum! Red Rum!

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:
FERMENTED ALCOHOLS: WINE, BEER, HARD LIQUOR, ETC ~ Intoxicant, used as an offering or appeasement for Gods, used in love spells, and celebratory spells.
PALO SANTO ~ Cleansing and purification, banishment of negative energy, attraction of positive energy, raises vibrational frequency.
OAK ~ A wood of masculine and projective energy. It symbolizes endurance, triumph, strength, power, prosperity, and heroism.
PEPPER ~ Protection, fidelity, dispels envy and evil, exorcism, breaks hexes.

• luna65 unlocked this topic

This is very cologne-y on me, I'm really wondering why - I wouldn't have expected it, necessarily.  It reads as very male to me, I think this is one guys would especially be into for the season.  I do think it's an interesting blend of woods and spice.  I get the booze aspect more as an undertone.  The Autumnal accents underscore everything else quite nicely.  And it has a suitable weight for either day or night, though I feel like it's maybe more appropriate for nighttime.

ETA: I like the way this softens in the drydown, it's really warm and smooth.

This is a masculine spicy clean scent on me. I would love it on my man. It's very sexy! It's not clean because it's soapy. It just smells like a sexy guy just took a hot shower and he smells clean and delicious and a little spicy! 😉 

First impression, on my skin,  is a fresh scent geared toward males. It actually reminds me of the shower gel, Vitabath, which my boyfriend used in the early 1980s-which I loved. During the dry down, part of that scent memory fades and a citrus scent (hmmm, not sure why) comes forward, warmed by the Palo Santo and rum. This is not a saccharin sweet rum, but rather a more wood-centric and naturally sweetened rum. If you know Four Square brand rums, that is the direction this scent takes. This would be an excellent choice for those who enjoy a fresh, bright cologne.

This is not a full blown review, just an observation on how differently perfume can wear depending on the person.  The first time I tried it, I was sure it was too masculine.  I liked it, and normally very much enjoy scents that have palo santo combined with a fermented alcohol note.

The next time I put it on, I may have had traces of Noco White on my skin, but either way the smell was incredible, and any fear that I wouldn’t wear it because of how masculine it smelled faded away. I’ve come to believe that an individual’s skin chemistry is the driving factor on how perfumes smell on us.  I amp spices, and anything sweet can smell cloying.  Don’t even get me started on patchouli and maple.  They’re in their own special category for problem notes.

I didn’t notice citrus, but I do plan to wear it again today after my shower, so I’ll pay more attention as to what individual notes I can identify.

Anyway, all this to say, don’t rule it out until you try it a couple of times after it has had a chance to recover from travel shock.  I bought two full sized bottles of it already, and I don’t plan to share with the bf either. 

5 hours ago, Eve said:

I’ve come to believe that an individual’s skin chemistry is the driving factor on how perfumes smell on us.  

Especially when it comes to artisan fragrances, which normally doesn't contain the fixatives which commercial fragrance does.

@luna65 that is what sets LPMP apart from so many others.  I love the fact that one’s own chemistry can make some of Mara’s fragrances their very own, unique to just them perhaps.  

It’s possible that for some, the pimento leaf (bay rum)  would translate into a masculine scent, as in the very classic Old Spice, but on me it smells like cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg all rolled into one.  This combined with the woody notes make this a full on oriental  fragrance.   Happily, the oak is not overpowering either.  It is nice and balanced, and exactly like what I didn’t know I was looking for, until it turned out I was. 

Edited to add that I took a chance and boosted one of my bottles with cops, instead of ordering it that way.  I have two (yes two!) bottles of Essence of Woman.  One has never been opened, the other barely used.  I figured it was high time I did it for myself :) 

Edited by Eve

@RosesArePink I converted one bottle to spray.  It’s great!  This fragrance stays on the skin a long time when applied from the rollerbottle.  With a spray and alcohol added it isn’t going to last as long of course.  I just made it into a spray this morning, so I don’t know yet how long it will linger. 

I’ve noticed the longer Red Rum is on my skin, the more it has a vanilla nuance to it.  Vanilla isn’t listed on the ingredient list, but I thought it worth mentioning.   First applied it leans toward masculine, only slightly though, and this stage  only lasts a short while. 

(Would I like how it smelled on a guy?  Of course!)

@Eve Excellent! Guess I was originally thinking this might be a nice one to gift to my brother and thought he might like a spray better than the oils.

Gave it a try today and if I ever ran into a guy wearing this, I would probably have to snuggle up close to him. Very smooth and slightly spicy scent. I think it became a little more sweet the longer I wore it. Very long lasting (always a plus). 

This is an interesting one, I’m liking quite a bit. Somehow it is fruity on me, which I’m guessing is the wine. I’m not sure what palo santo smells like, but I’m thinking I’m getting a mild pepper with the alcohol and it’s kind of like an apple scent. Not super spicy on me. Would, I like it on a guy? I would, it’s very fresh smelling.

Edited by Femmefatale

• 2 months later...

Wow, that sounds very interesting! I would be very interested in trying something like that! Also, my tastes have changed a lot lately and so have my scent preferences. My old perfume started to irritate me and I wanted to find an alternative.

[LINK DELETED]

I see how this could be unisex, but it leans heavily masculine on me. I'm getting woodsy, but with a kick. Nice and rich. The spices are very much in the vein of men's cologne spices. The spices aren't dry, but rich and sort of gummy(?), which sounds weird, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. I also get a rich sweetness, which I think is the alcohol notes. It makes me think of a shot of the good alcohol to warm someone up when they come in out of the cold, with the smell of outside still on them. I noticed I amp black pepper in some scents, and this is one of them. It's sort of tingly in my nose, like when you breathe in too much pepper and it makes you sneeze. I get that pre-sneeze feeling. The pepper is a bit too strong for me, and I think is part of what's making it read so masculine on my skin. It adds some peppiness to the scent, though, which could be good if you needed something to keep you feeling awake and alert. 

( @Eve *fistbump* I have the same issue with  patch and maple being their own category of problem notes. I have a bottle of Tara n Tula that I keep trying because it should be everything I love, but the maple kills it every time.)

@greenappletart right?  I have a couple different trial sizes of perfumes I’m just sure will work once they age long enough.  So far it hasn’t happened. 

As to Red Rum, the longer it ages it has become more masculine.  This was not expected, but hey, it happens.  I rarely reach for it any longer, but would absolutely love smelling it on a guy.