This is different

Jones

Aside from high-school dabbling (and the newlywed's effort to please the love of my life), I've never worn any scent at all...

...but this is a time of change. So, on a good review from a fellow member over at pherotruth.com, I came here to try some 'stinkum' (what my father used to call men's cologne).

The trouble is, my nose is so 'unrefined,' that my wife has pointed out [humorously] my lack of descriptive phraseology when it comes to scents. "Honey," she says, as she holds up her wrist, "what do you think of this?" And my reply (if I like it), would always be "smells...clean." Even when it's a sexy, spicy come-hither sort of mix. (I was actually disappointed when Fendi did not smell as good on her as it did on the sales girl...on whom it had an intriguingly 'bitter' aroma).

The only men's colognes I've ever tried, and liked were Lagerfeld, Old Spice, and Cool Water (a distant third). And all of them were long ago.

So, imagine my surprise when I opened the package from LPMP and tried a couple squirts of 'Ares' for men... at first, I wasn't quite sure about it... (as it dried, I kept sniffing at it to get a feel for it)... but I found myself liking it. And I don't mean just a little bit.

ASIDE: If you knew me, you would be laughing uproariously at this very out-of-character behaviour ("manly men" do not drive/walk around sniffing their wrists throughout the day... especially for the purpose of 'experiencing' the flavor and aroma of "perfume"... yet, oddly enough, "it takes a real man to wear a pink shirt.") /ASIDE

So, the first thing I did, was order more smelly stuff right away. A men's trial size collection; I'm putting my toe in the water, and starting with scents that are made for men (all of which were reviewed quite favorably by many of the ladies here). And...just to spice it up, a couple of trial sized unscented pheromone blends. I may not like it all, but I'll have a bit of fun.

Hopefully I'll be able to learn a bit along the way!

Now, I just need to pick out trial sized for my wife....

Welcome to LP, Jones!

Love Potion is a scented journey perfect for a time of change...I'm looking forward to reading all of your scent reviews and phero experiences...great to have you here, what did you pick out for your wife?

Welcome to LP, Jones!

Love Potion is a scented journey perfect for a time of change...I'm looking forward to reading all of your scent reviews and phero experiences...great to have you here, what did you pick out for your wife?

Assuming they're all in stock. Based on the reviews I've read so far, I have an ongoing list of scents to get in trial sizes:

LP Original

LP Black

LP Red

Mara's Rocket Fuel

Garland and Lace

Sparkle Fucshia

Pherogirl

Spontaneous Combustion

Still more research to do first though :-)

Welcome Jones! Looks like you have quite a list growing there! Of your list, LP Original, Black, Red (and maybe PheroGirl), are all part of the permanent line, so they are great for people who want to have a permanent backup in case one that they love sells out. I have LP Black and OCCO Black (and OCCO White) for that purpose!

Welcome again! And dive right in!!!

Welcome Jones! Another favorite of many people is sugared honeycomb -- very sexy!

Advice to both of you is to let your tastes evolve a while. Especially if you haven't experienced artisan perfumes before and have only tried department store scents. You many initially not like a scent, or thing its just not you, but after a while you may both change your mind. So don't immediately trade away or give away one you don't initially like.

Welcome to our home :) ...ohhh and very wise words from Xev,I have said many times,that I cringe at how close I came to giving away LP Red :w00t:

mmmmmm,do try Voracious,let it dry down at least 20 mins and sniff away :D

Assuming they're all in stock. Based on the reviews I've read so far, I have an ongoing list of scents to get in trial sizes:

LP Original

LP Black

LP Red

Mara's Rocket Fuel

Garland and Lace

Sparkle Fucshia

Pherogirl

Spontaneous Combustion

LP Black and LP Red are awesome and soooo sexy its hard to believe...

Pherogirl is predominantly sexual...great choices all of them! And the new Garland and Lace is luscious...

Bet your wife will love them, Jones...

Nice list! Now most of your choices for your wife are among the spicier scents, of which I am a total junkie! It really depends on what your wife likes scent-wise. Some people like more foody scents and some like floral or citrus. If you can at least get an idea of what sort of scent then you can narrow it down some.

You'll hear us talk a lot about "pink" scents for example. (Sparkle Fuschia on your list is a sort of pink scent, and a great choice!!) Pink can be light, sugary, and sweet. Some pinks have a hint of spice. LP pink or OCCO pink is a good one to try.

If your wife likes more of a "traditional perfume" smell, I would get a sample of cuddle bunny (the fragrance, not the unscented phero, though CB has the phero in it).

Check out the Private edition section too because many of the people here have crafted their own scents with very distinct notes of anything from chocolate to beer! The great thing is that you can order sample sizes of most of these. Oh and look on the trade forum because there are TONS of sample sized there too.

I think you should also try All Hallow's Eve (has a great crisp apple w/ just a hiiiint of spice, and other autumn notes). Plus it has the Lumina phero which is very popular

http://lovepotionper...n/HallowsEve11/

Oh and Far Far Away has floral and some spice. It's really different. The Audacious Phero in that is wonderful!

http://lovepotionper...ion/FarFarAway/

Okay okay I'll shut up, but ONE more: Darling Clementine! smells like orange buttercream cake. To die for. Mind you not in a over sweet chemically, cheap teeny bopper cologne, but this is a rich, light, high quality artisan scent. If you like orange or foodie scents give this a try!

http://lovepotionper...ion/Clementine/

:oops: Forgot my manners: :thbf54f4bf::woohoonaner2gy:

Edited by Raq On

Welcome Jones!!! :thbf54f4bf: I don't know if it's included in the men's sampler, but you really ought to try Bodice Ripper.....

Thanks! Are you kidding, after reading this thread, it was one of the first on my list to try :666:

:smilies-23596:

Welcome, Jones!

Love the pic of you and your honey! :D

Thank you. We were "sneaking away" for a long weekend in Gatlinburg, TN a few months back. Best vacation I've ever had!

Welcome Jones! Another favorite of many people is sugared honeycomb -- very sexy!

Advice to both of you is to let your tastes evolve a while. Especially if you haven't experienced artisan perfumes before and have only tried department store scents. You many initially not like a scent, or thing its just not you, but after a while you may both change your mind. So don't immediately trade away or give away one you don't initially like.

I'll add that to the list of trial sizes I'm working up for her (it's gotten considerably longer). I have no clue what she will actually enjoy wearing (as she so very rarely wears any scent at all), but it's good for a girl to have plenty of choices, yes?

As to my tastes... perhaps it's fortunate that I enjoy strong tastes in food, wine, and experiences. "I don't often drink beer, but when I do, I prefer..." Rogue Shakespeare Stout.

Welcome to our home :) ...ohhh and very wise words from Xev,I have said many times,that I cringe at how close I came to giving away LP Red :w00t:

mmmmmm,do try Voracious,let it dry down at least 20 mins and sniff away :D

Yep, Voracious was my FIRST choice.

LP Black and LP Red are awesome and soooo sexy its hard to believe...

Pherogirl is predominantly sexual...great choices all of them! And the new Garland and Lace is luscious...

Bet your wife will love them, Jones...

I hope so.

Nice list! Now most of your choices for your wife are among the spicier scents, of which I am a total junkie! It really depends on what your wife likes scent-wise. Some people like more foody scents and some like floral or citrus. If you can at least get an idea of what sort of scent then you can narrow it down some.

You'll hear us talk a lot about "pink" scents for example. (Sparkle Fuschia on your list is a sort of pink scent, and a great choice!!) Pink can be light, sugary, and sweet. Some pinks have a hint of spice. LP pink or OCCO pink is a good one to try.

Okay okay I'll shut up, but ONE more: Darling Clementine! smells like orange buttercream cake. To die for. Mind you not in a over sweet chemically, cheap teeny bopper cologne, but this is a rich, light, high quality artisan scent. If you like orange or foodie scents give this a try!

http://lovepotionper...ion/Clementine/

:oops: Forgot my manners: :thbf54f4bf::woohoonaner2gy:

I smell spicy scents..... and I do the werewolf thing... grrr lol. Something exotic with cinnamon, coffee, coriander, licorice... (I don't know if these things go together, but I like them all, and many other spicy notes which I do not know by name).

And vanilla makes me get all weak in the knees in an 'innocent' sort of way. Some years ago, on a trip to Bahrain, I brought home some Vanilla scented perfume oil. Unfortunately, during her pregnancy with my oldest (8), my Wife developed a nauseating aversion to vanilla that has not yet abated.

I have worn it my own self on occasion, and my kids tell me It makes me smell like a cookie, which is enough for me to like it lol... None of my buddies have mentioned the smell at all.

Hmmm. Darling Clementine it is then.

So far, I'm up to:

LP Original

LP Black

LP Red

Mara's Rocket Fuel

Garland & Lace

Sparkle & Fuchsia

Pherogirl

Spontaneous Combustion

Scarlet Leaf

Dirty Pretty Thing

Ravished

Remind me Again

Sugared Honeycomb

Darling Clementine

I better stop there, 'cause I'm going to get more for me too... I want some of that girl catchin' skunk juice! ;-)

double post

Edited by Jones

When I posted the response (above) the website was having a hiccup, and it double posted.

But since I'm here anyway.

What do you ladies like on a man? I know it's a subjective question at best. But there have got to be some commonalities of preference for there to be a "best sellers" list.

If you and your guy were stuck on a desert island, for the duration, and could choose only three scents for him... what would they be? Keep in mind, I'm looking for scents here, not pheromones... I'll get to that part later, this is a combined arms exercise, so I've got to get the artillery emplaced first.

On the other side of that equation, if you could only choose three scents for YOU, what would they be. I'm looking for the ones that make YOU feel best. Again, it's subjective, one might like playful and sweet, another might prefer the animal spirit, and still another might need to feel like she's 'da bomb' all on her own before she can get her head into playtime.

Edited by Jones

Lets see....for my man.....that would have to be Super for Men (OMG.....if you don't want pheros, that would be UN......sexy sexy sexy), Bodice Ripper, and hmmmmm....I guess my third would be one another one that has pheros......Dad......it is not so much sexy, but is fresh and clean-smelling. Sexy in a different way, I guess......

Trust me though....get the Super For Men with the pheros, and your lady will be ripping your clothes off....possibly with her TEETH.....

OK.....wait, is it hot in here?

WHEW.....OK, little breather.....LOL.....for me, hmmmmm.......many of my faves are sold out, so I'll go with the ones that aren't.....

LP Black--#1 fave--totally dark and sexy--either by itself or paired with OCCO Black (NOCO is the unpheroed version of that)

NOX--my man has started really liking this one on me......I want to try it on him one of these days....it is dark and deep and comforting......

For #3, hmmmm.......lately it has been Mermaids of Atlantis....this one is coming back in a rebrew and is fruity and watery florals.....and seaweed......mmmmmm.....

If you liked Bodice Ripper, you may want to try Velvet Moss.....I haven't tried it on my man, but I do plan on it....definitely a unisex scent.....

I just got Excalibur for my husband and it's reaaally sexy. That and Super for men, like Dolly said.

My faves:

LP Red

Sparkle Fuschia

Vicars and Tarts

All Hallow's Eve

Wow! you are certainly jumping in with both feet! I remember when I first started I ordered bits of trial vials for a couple months! Have fun. YOu'll have no shortage of advice and suggestions here! I think your wife will like Darling Clementine. And if you like to huff on food scents you will too. Oh an LP red will be great on her!

Lets see....for my man.....that would have to be Super for Men (OMG.....if you don't want pheros, that would be UN......sexy sexy sexy), Bodice Ripper, and hmmmmm....I guess my third would be one another one that has pheros......Dad......it is not so much sexy, but is fresh and clean-smelling. Sexy in a different way, I guess......

Trust me though....get the Super For Men with the pheros, and your lady will be ripping your clothes off....possibly with her TEETH.....

OK.....wait, is it hot in here?

LOL... I keep reading very good things about Super for Men. I'll have to get a bottle. I DO want pheros (I do! I do! I do!), but this is a multi-pronged attack I'm planning here.

WHEW.....OK, little breather.....LOL.....for me, hmmmmm.......many of my faves are sold out, so I'll go with the ones that aren't.....

When things sell out, do they come back?

LP Black--#1 fave--totally dark and sexy--either by itself or paired with OCCO Black (NOCO is the unpheroed version of that)

NOX--my man has started really liking this one on me......I want to try it on him one of these days....it is dark and deep and comforting......

For #3, hmmmm.......lately it has been Mermaids of Atlantis....this one is coming back in a rebrew and is fruity and watery florals.....and seaweed......mmmmmm.....

I get the sense that the LP line is a big favorite!

If you liked Bodice Ripper, you may want to try Velvet Moss.....I haven't tried it on my man, but I do plan on it....definitely a unisex scent.....

I don't know if I'll like Bodice Ripper, but it was well spoken of, so I asked for it in the 10-pack of sample vials I ordered. Along with:

Super II for men

Sudden Impact

Pashazade

Thrill of the Chase

Love Potion Homme

Excalibur

Elementary

North Pole

Along with separate line items for trial size versions of Voracious, <3 Throb, and SS4M :666:

Really want to try Mark's Girl Nip, Mark's Tonka Tobaccum, Teacher's Pest, Ambuscade, and Merlin's Blend

I just got Excalibur for my husband and it's reaaally sexy. That and Super for men, like Dolly said.

My faves:

LP Red

Sparkle Fuschia

Vicars and Tarts

All Hallow's Eve

Wow! you are certainly jumping in with both feet! I remember when I first started I ordered bits of trial vials for a couple months! Have fun. YOu'll have no shortage of advice and suggestions here! I think your wife will like Darling Clementine. And if you like to huff on food scents you will too. Oh an LP red will be great on her!

I'm going to try Excalibur because it has such good reviews. I'm a little hesitant, because "greenery" isn't my thing... but I'll try anything once (twice, if I like it).

As a fan of old Confederate Railroad songs ("I like my women just a little on the trashy side"), the description for Sparkle Fuschia grabbed me with both hands.

She (Jenn) is not a clothes horse, a shoe person, or a hair & makeup princess, much less a scent hound. As the introvert in the relationship (ISTP), after a hard day's work (in an environment where she must behave like an extrovert), she loves nothing more than to curl up with a good book and escape from the world. But she's got an innate sense of adventure that I may be able to harness, for the trip down this road.

I, on the other hand, am the more extroverted partner (ENT[P:J*]), who needs a guardian angel lol.

*depends on my attitude, historically, it's been 60:40 P:J

Edited by Jones

Desert island scents:

For Quince:

SUPER for Men

Down and Dirty for Him

Q&Q's Delicious Wood (a PE I came up with for the both of us to wear)

For me:

Sugared Patchouli

Sugared Amber

Christine's Tropical Musk (probably my favorite scent which is the opposite of the dark resin-based scents I usually prefer)

Cheers, mate!

I can't contribute much myself at this juncture but I can say welcome to the same boat, eh.

Thanks much! I've been reading through the various threads that catch my eye, while keeping Wikipedia open in another tab 'cause I don't sprechen the parfum-ese much (in the last five minutes alone, I've learned what Vetiver is, that it's a fixative, and what THAT is lol). It's pretty slow going.

Ron

Aha! I recognize that word. ...S'all I got. Personally haven't gotten too far into the science of it (though I've established some basic knowledge of the more commonly used pheromones so far), mostly been brand and product comparing; theorizing and digging through hills and mountains of reviews and journals till my eyes cross.

Heh, fun, in'it?

Edited by Toronto Sol

The thing with pheromones is... after having read through the relevant entries on pherotruth.com (via which I was introduced to LPMP), and then other, similar forums. I then came over here (where the girls are) because, I have a sneaking suspicion that most men have it wrong... and if I want to find out what works, I should observe a representative sample of the potential target.

Nearly every company out there selling pheromones and "pheromone enhanced" products, leads with Androstenone. Fine, I get that it's a cave man in a bottle. But is that what actually WORKS?

I've experimented with ridiculous amounts (5 drops True Instinct oil) of Androstenone at the local mall during Christmas shopping season. Yet, no one has looked at me like I was a serial masher. They were nice and pleasant and helpful. Of course I was also my typically upbeat, friendly, pleasant self (I'm not being facetious here, I really do genuinely like people, and being around them).

And it wasn't an overdose, or "ghosting" (both of which I am beginning to think are mythical). Some years ago, I spent 9+ years in the Marine Corps Infantry, so I'm not a stranger to Androstenone, and do feel comfortable with excessive amounts.

While I haven't yet received my trial size of SS4M, the fact that Androstenone appears NOT to be the primary ingredient seems promising to me... mainly because I've begun to have this sneaking suspicion that A/B-Androstenol, Androsterone and Androstanone should come first, with Androstenone lurking, ever present, in the background (along with the DHEAS).

I also think maybe the focus should be on the "self-effects" of women's products. Getting her into a mood conducive to heart-pounding adventure and experimentation tonight begins with making her feel wanted and desirable this morning.

As for me, I think one of Harrison Ford's characters said it best: "Good grief. You know how you attract a man? You show up. We're men. We're easy." (see: "Six Days, Seven Nights")

I hope you have as much fun as I have been having so far!

Edited by Jones

When things sell out, do they come back?

Sometimes, but more often they do not....the lovelies at LP create 10-12 new scents each month, and they are usually all new. Sometimes, if a scent is very popular, is not too difficult to re-create, and the ingredients are available, Mara will re-brew it. This doesn't happen often, however. Some of the permanent scents are LP Black, Red, Pink, Original, LP #9, Sugared Honeycomb, PheroGirl (I think this one is permanent), and then the scents in the LAM, BAM, and OCCO lines.....then there are some that have had 1 or 2 re-brews done, and each brew can vary a bit.....BUT that is just the nature of perfumes that are not chemically stabilized or duped. The best option is that if you or your wife fall in love with something and feel like you never want to be without it, STOCK UP!

Edited by Dolly