Perfumer's Alcohol vs. Vodka

Honeybee

Hi Hi!

I'm so excited to sample Love Blossom the new "magnet" phero/frangrance blend. I might buy one of those little tiny spray bottles and dump the sample in there because I've never tried cops in spray form and would like to try it out on my guy. I know I'd need perfumers alcohol, but I'd hate to buy a bottle of it when really I'd just need a tad bit, I think the little spray bottles LP offers are 4 ml. Do you think vodka would ruin the pheros or perfume oil? I heard its very similar and some people use it but I imagine it would be harsh?

Thanks~

If you can find a vodka with as little smell as possible (Burnett's is good, and inexpensive) you can give that a try, but it may not blend - you might have to shake it each time. Perfumers alcohol has one little extra ingredient in it that allows things to mix nicely, and permanently. We use a ratio of 33% perfume oil to 66% alcohol. A commercial perfume spray is 20% perfume oil. Colognes are 10% or less, and a splash or after shave has only 3% perfume oil. Good Luck! Let us know how the experiment goes!

OH, but be careful spraying copulins...try to avoid your hair and clothes because then the copulin stank never settles down. It needs to bond with your skin chemistry to settle properly. Copulins are really best worn closer to the skin, while social pheros like alpha-androstenol really shine in spray form.

If you can find a vodka with as little smell as possible (Burnett's is good, and inexpensive) you can give that a try, but it may not blend - you might have to shake it each time. Perfumers alcohol has one little extra ingredient in it that allows things to mix nicely, and permanently. We use a ratio of 33% perfume oil to 66% alcohol. A commercial perfume spray is 20% perfume oil. Colognes are 10% or less, and a splash or after shave has only 3% perfume oil. Good Luck! Let us know how the experiment goes!

OH, but be careful spraying copulins...try to avoid your hair and clothes because then the copulin stank never settles down. It needs to bond with your skin chemistry to settle properly. Copulins are really best worn closer to the skin, while social pheros like alpha-androstenol really shine in spray form.

Yay! Thanks Potion Master.

Perfumer's alcohol def sounds way better quality, especially for our precious angel LP's. If this works out well I would rather have LP mix me up a bottle of beta spray but for this fun little sample, I will experiment with the Burnett's and get back on here to review it. Probably won't be for another few weeks but I can't wait, woo hoo!

Thanks for the advice, I had no idea different brands of vodka smell different, thought it was all the same. I don't drink much but when I do drink I love my TEQUILA : P But this is what honeybee looks like the morning after, he he he :bee-sleeping:

Thanks for the warning about spraying cops. My hunny would be distracted by my stinky hair, not how I'd want my night to go.

I use 190 proof Everclear for a diluent. It's not legal for sale in every state, but if you have access to it you can keep some on hand for little projects like this.

Vodka won't work very well, but straight ethanol works great. Good for mixing in drinks too!

I use 190 proof Everclear for a diluent. It's not legal for sale in every state, but if you have access to it you can keep some on hand for little projects like this.

Vodka won't work very well, but straight ethanol works great. Good for mixing in drinks too!

Haha...that's great. Well from personal experience, the Perfumers alcohol will set you back about $20 for an 8 oz bottle (because of shipping costs), but vodka that will work well enough to blend won't be much cheaper. IDK you should definitely look @ SnowDrift Farm before you decide. I ended up getting Tangy Ylang boosted with Magnet in a beta spray & I like the cops in that form. To keep from getting them on clothes & hair I unscrew the top & dab perfume on pulse points. I've been doing that with a lot of my 'sprays' lately though :D

Edited by Beccah1

Funny thing is,I have had perfumers alcohol on my list for months and I have not got there yet...ummm Snowdrift Farms is in Tucson LOL

They sell a few types ...is it the Artsian one I want?

So far the mini sprays I've made,I just use LP's A-nol spray...needless to say,that works really well ;)

Jaycee,

How do you find the everclear works for perfume? Cause that was my plan as well... I border a state where I can buy it, for cheaper than Perf. alc and without the possibly toxic additives, and particularly the yuck one (bitrex?)

I know even the nommiest LPs aren't for licking, but for smooching's sake I'd prefer consumable pure alcohol as a dilutant! :cocktail::KITTY_~12:

Does grain work well with LP oils? Better, I assume, than vodka would?

eta: oh, jeez, ya kinda spelled out the grain v. vodka question, d'oh! But still want to know how everclear has worked with LPs if you've tried that... I'm dying to make an arsenal of to go spritzers! :)

Edited by kblazin

I've used Everclear (the highest proof, which is 190 if I recall correctly) and it works fine. It dissolves everything and doesn't have much scent of its own. Some people filter it through charcoal first but I don't really think that made that a lot of difference when I did that.

Funny thing is,I have had perfumers alcohol on my list for months and I have not got there yet...ummm Snowdrift Farms is in Tucson LOL

They sell a few types ...is it the Artsian one I want?

So far the mini sprays I've made,I just use LP's A-nol spray...needless to say,that works really well :KITTY_~12:

Definitely the Artisan it has like zero smell & I think they use the least amount of additives in it.....

Hehe you said A-nol!

Definitely the Artisan it has like zero smell & I think they use the least amount of additives in it.....

Hehe you said A-nol!

Thanks,sweetie...ummm,well yeah,I always call Alpha Androstenol , A-nol...where is your mind at :666::lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Jaycee,

How do you find the everclear works for perfume? Cause that was my plan as well... I border a state where I can buy it, for cheaper than Perf. alc and without the possibly toxic additives, and particularly the yuck one (bitrex?)

I know even the nommiest LPs aren't for licking, but for smooching's sake I'd prefer consumable pure alcohol as a dilutant! :):)

Does grain work well with LP oils? Better, I assume, than vodka would?

eta: oh, jeez, ya kinda spelled out the grain v. vodka question, d'oh! But still want to know how everclear has worked with LPs if you've tried that... I'm dying to make an arsenal of to go spritzers! :)

If you look on the ingredient list of some perfumes or after shaves, you'll see "denatured alcohol" listed as the main ingredient. "Denatured" means that bitters have been added to pure grain alcohol so that it may be legally sold without a liquor tax stamp. Denatured alcohol is ethanol + bitters. 190 proof everclear is ethanol + a liquor tax stamp. They really are the same thing.

Ethanol is an excellent solvent and I also use it sometimes for mixing in drinks.

I picked up a couple of those little single serving everclear bottles for a couple of bucks apiece and keep them on hand along with small recycled empty spray bottles from other brands of products, and some disposable pipettes from my lab, and keep that all together in my bathroom for experimenting with different dilutions of alcohol and LP scents/pheros.

• 1 year later...

I'm so glad I found this thread. I have been wanting to experiment with perfume oils and perfumer's alcohol but want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start. I'd also like to share what I've learnt for anyone else trying to do this in Australia.

It seems to be difficult to get perfumer's alcohol (or any alcohol for that matter) shipped to Australia - see this page for a discussion. Some of the major places that sell perfumer's alcohol will not let the order go through when your address is entered as Australia - I have tried. One option is the conversion kits sold here that have a little alcohol in them. However they are supposed to be sent 2/3 full and apparently this creates problems when shipping overseas.

------------------------

As far as just buying normal alcohol, I see a few people have mentioned Everclear in this thread, but I don't think we have that here. I read around a bit and the general consensus was to try a product called Polmos' Spirytus Rektyfikowany (basically "Refined Spirit" in Polish). It is 95% alcohol and a 500mL bottle from Dan Murphys (a large liquor chain we have here) is $58.99. See here for more info. A bit on the pricey side, but nothing beats the convenience of ducking down to your local liquor store and just picking up a bottle then and there, no waiting around for orders to ship or worrying if they will get through customs.

So I now have the alcohol, some perfume oils and a few mixing bottles... but even though I have all the tools I am too scared to risk my precious oils by trying to mix them! Does anyone have any suggestions? So far I am just figuring 1/3 oil and 2/3 alcohol in a spray bottle, and I know I will have to shake it beforehand each time. Is there anything else I should know? Any advice would be most welcome! :)

Thanks all!

Edited by Potion Master
Had to!

Synergist, I'm sorry, I had to edit out part of your post, for reasons you noted yourself. However, check your box when you get it, I slipped something special in there for you.

Also note, we CAN ship a mixture of 60/40% alcohol/DPG in a metal bottle, because then the flash point is raised high enough to be air-safe.

Oh dear... sorry Mara... I just wanted to share the advice you gave me on the subject... I didn't mean to say something wrong :( Good to know about the 60/40 mixture, I have been wanting to experiment with that ratio as well.

I'm so excited about receiving my box, I can't wait :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I picked up a couple of those little single serving everclear bottles for a couple of bucks apiece and keep them on hand along with small recycled empty spray bottles from other brands of products, and some disposable pipettes from my lab, and keep that all together in my bathroom for experimenting with different dilutions of alcohol and LP scents/pheros.

I'm totally going to try this! I'm pretty sure I can get the little bottles near me.

• 1 month later...

I think I will try this as well. I'll order my next Un Pheros in silicone roll on and dilute them with Everclear. I guess I could even make them stronger by using a 50/50 ratio instead of a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio. As long as they will still move through the spray nozzle that way .

• 11 months later...

This topic has come in handy! I have a really sensitive sense of smell and gave up an anything with fragrance for years! Occasionally, I'd run across something pleasant and wanted more. Love that there are Un's here, but didn't want to miss out on the scented ones. When my order arrived, I was soooo disappointed. Initially, nothing was pleasant. Then, I realized I had a sinus infection (no I can't always feel them until they're crazy full blown). So, as the recovery started to take place, many of the frangrances started moving to the yummy column!! Mmmmmm . . . but, often, they were still too strong for me. So, as per the advice given here, I've experimented with the everclear mix and am excited to say ... we have found a yummy balance!!

I even mixed one of the fragrances (diluted with Everclear) with an UnCB. Can't wait to road test it! So exciting.

As mentioned near the beginning of this thread, watch out with the UnCB in spray form. It has quite a bit of cops, and if you get that in your hair or on your clothes, it will stick around for a long time!!!!!!!

Edited by Dolly

Thanks, Dolly! That occurred to me after I put it in the spray bottle - luckily before spraying it. So, I've been swiping. It's worked better than when using the UnCB straight. Could that be from the faster diffusion with the alcohol? It also seems to last. I don't know if it's Pavlovian or if the lower dose is just making it work better. But, loving the results!!!

Thanks again for the reminder and I love love love reading your reviews!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've been experimenting with making sprays so my perfumer's alcohol (50ml bottle) is going more quickly than I would have thought. I did google Everclear, and it seems to be legal in my state. I might have to stop by a package store tomorrow to see if it's less expensive than the alcohol.