Love Potion: Original

I had ordered a sample of this ages ago when I had first discovered LPMP but hadn't really gotten around to trying it until now. On me, LP Original displays volumes of vanilla, amber, and patchouli but is rounded out by a warmth and spice that was completely unexpected. I think I previously imagined it to be sweeter and more delicate than it turned out to be. I see this scent as being ageless but has a sophistication that I associate with Chanel fragrances and such.

It immediately sent my mind whirring to try and figure out what pheros to pair with it and now that I've realized how great LP: Original is, I will definitely be wearing it more! I can't believe it took me so long to get around to trying my sample!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it. I am not sure if I love it more than Red but definitely enough to keep using it. It is sweet but not too sweet, warm and sensual but not dirty. I can see why it was the original love potion and I think it is wonderful for intent and scent. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first scent review and only appropriate that it is Love Potion Original. This is the perfect scent for me and exactly how I envisioned myself always wanting to smell like. My husband likes it and after awhile I don't even notice it. This one is incensey rather than perfumey to me and suits my personality perfectly because on me its a little sweet, a little spicy, a little seductive, a little mysterious, quietly in the background, different, not typical, and unexpected. In other words, perfect. Either my skin eats this or it smells so natural to me that I don't notice it. Some of the other Love Potion fragrances keep hovering above the surface and I am consciously aware of them no matter how long I have them on or how much I like them. This one has every necessary note in it for me -- vanilla, amber, patchouli. When I first put it on, I smell creamy vanilla which I love. Then I smell mostly patchouli with the occasional whiff of rose and apricot, I think, I don't know, it all blends so well. I suppose the vanilla is always in the background, but not in an obvious way to this vanilla lover. What this scent blooms into is the whole reason I tried love potion perfumes at all. Mara nailed it!! The patchouli scent I always envisioned and was looking for!

• 4 weeks later...

What a great review, SirenSong! Makes me really want to try this one!

donsie I cannot believe you've been here this long and never tried LPO! I agree with SirenSong - even though I have way WAAAAAY too many LPs, LPO is perfect. Every. Single. Time.

And if you haven't tried the Wax Tarts with LPO you are missing out! Mara can't make enough of them ;)

I know, right? But it has become sort of a Thing. It would almost be a shame to destroy the last great LP mystery... but not enough of a shame that I won't actually do it one day! I only even tried any of the LP variants last autumn.

Just adding that your avi is adorable and from one of my favourite cartoons of all time... and I never noticed him hiding up on the counter!

I noticed not too long ago that the mix of LP scents that I have worn all winter together smell like LP original. (Probably because I have worn original and several variants so together they out number the others) but my leather jacket smells faintly of LP original before I put anything else on.

Wow you have STRONG willpower! LPO is the one fragrance I'd pick if I were exiled on a desert island... although if there were a male companion, Compromising Positions would be a very close second.

And Looney Tunes "Feed the Kitty" is one of my all-time fav cartoons... but I added the "don't be sad" note on the pic because the pic always makes people sad until they see Pussyfoot hiding, watching the entire thing with Marc Anthony & his "human", LOL.

Edited by LoveStruck

I only possess strong willpower where the permanent collection is concerned!

Haha, I so get that! You feel the pressure to snatch NR's so permanent ones always get bumped from your order. When I first started with LP I don't think I really "got" the urgency thing at first because I got mostly samples of the classic permanents to begin with. I am shockingly not a huge fan of LPO, I prefer Comp P which to me is similar but with heavier patchouli, not as sweet. I am more of an LP Red ho!

Exactly, MDC! I have a growing list of permanents on my list that keep getting replaced in the cart. I don't want them any less but the NR frenzy means they get left behind.

Wow, I had no idea LP O and Comp P were similar. I really like Comp P. I also like my sample of LP Rouge but could see how a heavier version would be even better (and I get the sense that Red goes in that deeper direction) so I think a trial of LP Red is in order as well as LP O!

To my nose, LP O and Comp P are very different. COmp P is a very peppery vanilla scent, but i can't say the same for LP O.

I love them both though! I just realized i haven't worn Comp P for a while now, time to revisit it :)

Haha, I so get that! You feel the pressure to snatch NR's so permanent ones always get bumped from your order. When I first started with LP I don't think I really "got" the urgency thing at first because I got mostly samples of the classic permanents to begin with. I am shockingly not a huge fan of LPO, I prefer Comp P which to me is similar but with heavier patchouli, not as sweet. I am more of an LP Red ho!

I concur on LP Red. My very first LP order was LP Red with Cops and it's still one I flip flop with Compromising Positions. My last LP Red bottle I just ordered virgin. Even on it's own it is very sexy. LP Rouge is a different direction for me, especially with the LFM. I really like it alot, but not in the same way as LPO, CompPos and LP Red (yes, OK, I added LP red to my favs now that I was reminded!)

These three are kind of a romance trifecta of sorts for me... I might start out my day with LP Original, which makes me feel comfortably romantic and loved. Come home, shower and get dressed for 'date night', with a slather of LP Red. If the evening is headed in the right direction, then I would pull Comp Positions out of my purse and set the stage for when we get home. My SO finds me pretty irresistable with all three, and his level of romance/sexual overtures tend to increase with each (in that particular order). The only embellishment I might add to this scenario (I'm very curious about it) would be to add the LPO Olive and Apricot Cream after the pre-date night shower. I'd love to know if anyone's used this combo :burning-heart: And of course if any vets see a red flag in this routine (like adding CompPos over the LPO cream being Cop overkill or something) please set me straight!

I received LPO in the LPMP women's sampler I purchased in the beginning....I have to say the first time I smelled it I thought-how could anyone like the smell of this? Mind you, I had never smelled artisan perfumes before and was used to the bland and generic smelling commercial perfumes. This winter I got it out again and tried it and I am in love with it!! To me it smells like a very rich and spicy vanilla with a hint of apricot floating in the background. I wear it to bed because I love waking up with the scent of it on my pillow. To those of you who are new to artisan perfumes I ask you not to make a decision until you have learned to appreciate the richness and complexity of them. I also hated patchouli in the beginning, but now I love it. If you have tried it and don't like it right away, set it aside for a few months and come back to it...it's a thumbs up for me!!

Also, one thing I learned was that the phero blend, Gotcha, is made to compliment this potion...Gotcha is fabulous and one of my favs so this makes it a win win!! :)

Also, one thing I learned was that the phero blend, Gotcha, is made to compliment this potion...Gotcha is fabulous and one of my favs so this makes it a win win!! :)

Well THAT makes sense now... no wonder the Wax melts of LPO w/ Gotcha don't last long in the Etsy shop! My favorite wax melt by far.

• 2 months later...

TheBirkeys, you are spot on, at least as far as my own experience is concerned. I was not ready to appreciate LPO when I got my first sampler. it was only months later, when I bought it in the cream form, inhaled...and melted. Suddenly I could smell all the gorgeous complexity and feel it affect me. Perhaps the extra touch connection really helped me open to the experience, perhaps the cops were also involved.

I think there was also a certain part of me that sort of rebelled against the "old" perfumes and felt I was more hip if I tried the new stuff. That the old was boring and the new was exciting. Silly me. Nothing about anything Mara did 'way back when' is ever boring or outdated. It's powerful, intense, and yet soothing and oh-so-feminine. And definitely appropriate for right NOW.

It's so beautiful. And I have never smelled such a brilliantly balanced patchouli as is in this. Until LP O, I didn't know that patchouli COULD behave! And blending it with vanilla and apricot... perfect. This is just warmth and beauty and love personified.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wearing this scent the last few days and I love it so much. It's such a beautiful perfume and it lasts on me forever! Beyond absolutely loving the way I smell, it somehow has morphed into a "me" scent, as if I've always had this scent. I love when that happens! I think because of how it makes me feel, I have this extra glow from it that others notice, especially men. I realized this today. People have been extra helpful, kind, smiley, staring extra long, and even hitting on me. Both men and women. I'm not joking! This is very clever and sneaky perfume. Thanks to all the gods everywhere and special thanks to LPMP that this is part of the permanent collection because I need more!

Edited by tink333

So glad it works for you Tink. :) The most fun part about LP #1 for me is that children absolutely adore this scent, & even pets! I've literally been wearing LP #1 for years now & it's effect on the wee folk hasn't changed a bit.

So glad it works for you Tink. :) The most fun part about LP #1 for me is that children absolutely adore this scent, & even pets! I've literally been wearing LP #1 for years now & it's effect on the wee folk hasn't changed a bit.

That is funny! I have noticed that in general, my cats really love the LP's I wear. They like to hang out near me when I'm getting ready in the morning. Sometimes if I'm wearing a spell potion like Lucky Van Van, I'll give them a little touch on their heads after I've put some on my hands and feet.

I'm going to have to pay closer attention when I'm wearing this around my nieces and nephew to see how they respond.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my FB of LP Orig! I opened it up just to smell it and I'm not joking when I say I almost licked it! It smells sooooooooooooooo good that I want to eat it!

OMFG! Ok so yes when I post, I am usually enthusiastic, bc well, that's kind of why I'm posting- if something means something to me. So, that aside, I shall start GUSHING over this. I joined LP about a year ago and have never tried this, until just a bit ago. Now I want full bottle, full throttle (meaning asap if I could). This is beyond gorgeous, simply amazing. I wish I could give a better review of this on the notes, etc. but it's so well blended. This is simply gorgeous, amazing, warm, and makes me feel glowy.

For this I would love to splurge on both spray FB and backup RB FB.

(runs off to go digging thru my sniffies now to look for more until I can go FB)

ETA: Now have 2 samples on the way, so excited!!

Edited by Beach Goddess

OMFG! Ok so yes when I post, I am usually enthusiastic, bc well, that's kind of why I'm posting- if something means something to me. So, that aside, I shall start GUSHING over this. I joined LP about a year ago and have never tried this, until just a bit ago. Now I want full bottle, full throttle (meaning asap if I could). This is beyond gorgeous, simply amazing. I wish I could give a better review of this on the notes, etc. but it's so well blended. This is simply gorgeous, amazing, warm, and makes me feel glowy.

For this I would love to splurge on both spray FB and backup RB FB.

(runs off to go digging thru my sniffies now to look for more until I can go FB)

Same here! I think you and I both discovered and joined this forum around the same time and I just recently tried LP Orig. Why did it take us so long? This is AMAZING!!!

My aged bottle of this is coming up on one year.

It ages so well. I just put it away knowing in a year or 2 I'll be so glad I did, It has a much more rounded character. Nothing is amping. All the notes here have longevity, they mingle and blend well. It's also very pretty with a dab of Sugared Apricot.

Exactly, MDC! I have a growing list of permanents on my list that keep getting replaced in the cart. I don't want them any less but the NR frenzy means they get left behind.

Wow, I had no idea LP O and Comp P were similar. I really like Comp P. I also like my sample of LP Rouge but could see how a heavier version would be even better (and I get the sense that Red goes in that deeper direction) so I think a trial of LP Red is in order as well as LP O!

Comp P has a distinct "Love Potion Perfume" fragrance. IDC who you are or what your body chemistry does with it. Someone wears this around me and I'd know they were wearing an LP.

More recently I noticed that with "Kissed By The Sun". It's not that they smell alike. Not at all. It could be the ratios in which the notes are blended, the vanilla or just Maras nose. Her imprint on her creations. That distinct signature. :)

I have noticed that with other Artisan perfumes as well.

oops sorry for the double post.

Edited by StacyK

• 4 weeks later...

Same here! I think you and I both discovered and joined this forum around the same time and I just recently tried LP Orig. Why did it take us so long? This is AMAZING!!!

I have no idea why I waited, but glad I finally tried it! This can be worn anywhere, anytime. Since I'm getting samples, going to try it out with sheer essence and some of my uns. It's perfect solo of course, but can't wait to try it with some pheros.

Wore LP #1 back to my hometown over the weekend. It was amazing how much nicer people in that area are to me when I have this on. I find people back home tend to be a lot grumpier than the people in my current area. This was not the case while I was wearing LP #1! Hmm, well now I know. Lol.

I second this! I wore this yesterday, finally reunited with it after having it stolen from me over a year ago(I suspect the magic doesn't work on thieves!), anyways, first off my daughter started crawling all over me like a little bear cub, then we went for a walk and my older neighbor who doesn't usually say much,stopped and was super chatty with me. She was talking up my baby,my haircut,on and on. Even her dog was being super nice,letting Lena grab his hair as he patiently bore her iron grip,not a snarl out of him. Then my mom came home,and she was super nice too, which really she is anyways,if a little preachy--no preachiness last night though-yay!

I will say that there is a pretty major difference in the scent of a new bottle verses an old one. Its much lighter, needs to age a little. This stuff ages and melds like a fine wine,sooooooo good! I agree with Lovestruck too, this stuff should be a mandatory try for all LP fans, its just amazing.

Elena will have a lot of scents that remind her of mom when she grows up--but I hope this is one of the top ones. I also hope she will wear it herself one day. It's like wearing a warm comforting hug around the shoulders all day long.

May LP O and I never be apart again!

It's really easy to forget how great this stuff is. Even when you wear it regularly. A friend of mine had drafted me to run a beer cart last week at the bar & grill where she bartends. I get there & surprise(!), I'm waitressing. I wasn't excited about this because I haven't waitressed before, but I persevered & did my best. Man, I was messing things up left & right, but everybody loved me anyway. It was crazy! I only had 3 or 4 tables, but still managed to make over $100.

I find Compromising Positions has some similarities to LP O on dry down. People here definitely won't know this is perfume. I'm still using a sample I requested for years ago. i'll have to crack open my first and one and only bottle which is over a year

Damn!! Way to go Beccah! Those must have been some badass tippers!

They were wonderful! My first table ordered like $200 worth of food & alcohol ;) It helps when people are in the area to show off their fancy racing boats, lol.

Since I finally tried LP O - almost a year after joining LP- I keep slapping myself in the forehead and face for not trying this sooner.

I super love and super gush over so many LPs (and will probably continue to do so), but LP O has captured my heart too in so many ways.

LoveStruck's review is amazing, and I can't give a review better than that- who could? But I can say I think LP O is making me fall in love with myself. And I will get FB (s) as soon as I can - solo, boosted with pheros, and with EOW.

For now, I have samples and love every precious drop. I apply with just a few wand swipes and feel such warmness, beauty, comfort and love.

And of course, I keep huffing the heck out of my arms - heaven.

Edited by Beach Goddess