Love Potion: Red

thatonegirl

This is one of my favorite LPs. Not as overwhelmingly sweet as the original, not as dark as the black, still enough punch to be aggressively sensual.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LP Red doesn't have any apricot in it as far as I know. I always get a cinnamon vanilla incensey sort of fragrance from it.

I was always under the impression that LP: Red was a varient on LP: Original; to my nose there are a lot of similar notes, including apricot. It's like they have the same base note, but Red has a whole bunch of extra notes on top. It could just be my imagination, though!

This is one of my favorite LPs. Not as overwhelmingly sweet as the original, not as dark as the black, still enough punch to be aggressively sensual.

I wonder what Scourger has been up to? This is definitely a succinct way to put how I feel about Red into words, although I do actually love the sweetness of LPO. I love Red so much, but I've hardly reached for it over the past year. I will definitely have to remedy that this year! @Celrynna, I always thought the same thing, but come to think of it. Red Lace did have a much sweeter character than LP Red. So maybe that was the addition of the apricot, that wasn't present before? I think the set in stone basis for Love Potion & the variants is the vanilla/amber/patchouli combo. Only the LP crew can confirm that theory though.

I'm with ya on that DD! Jouir De apparently is stinkville on most. If I wait long enough... it turns into the most awesome scent ever on me but Frambuesa y Coco... I just can't get it to like me like it does everyone else! LOL

Too funny, We must have the same skin type because Frambuesa y Coco does not like me at all

I was always under the impression that LP: Red was a varient on LP: Original; to my nose there are a lot of similar notes, including apricot. It's like they have the same base note, but Red has a whole bunch of extra notes on top. It could just be my imagination, though!

It's not listed on the ingredient list, but you're right. I feel like it was stated somewhere that it's in there. I, personally, can't smell it if is there, but then again, cinnamon and patchouli dominate the blend for me!

In the description for Red Lace Apricot is listed and, I don't know if this is exactly correct , the description in the LP Amazon store states apricot.

So it's a mysterie. I have LP Red oil and Red Lace spray. I don't smell apricot per say but there is a very gentle fruit'ish sweetness. Maybe there is just a drop so it was not mentioned or the amazon thing is wrong.

I love LP Red so I really didn't give it much thought until now.

Stacy, I agree. Until Beccah reminded that the base is the same for all the variants, I hadn't really thought about it either. I think its the vanilla, amber and patchouli that are the base but it did stop me for a second and wonder if maybe apricot could be a smidge in each. I'm excited to try the OCCO Red and see how it differs from LP Red. I'm really interested to see what the apricot does to it because I can't picture the scent at the moment!!!

Too funny, We must have the same skin type because Frambuesa y Coco does not like me at all

It hates me as well.

Sorry that you two are in the FyC Hates Me club. :( Do you think it's a specific note in there that doesn't work for us? I won't threadjack anymore on the issue but I'm wondering if its the raspberry...

Stacy, I agree. Until Beccah reminded that the base is the same for all the variants, I hadn't really thought about it either. I think its the vanilla, amber and patchouli that are the base but it did stop me for a second and wonder if maybe apricot could be a smidge in each. I'm excited to try the OCCO Red and see how it differs from LP Red. I'm really interested to see what the apricot does to it because I can't picture the scent at the moment!!!

Yes.. Beccah is right about the base. I read that somewhere.. ,,,"signature base of vanilla, amber & Patchouli". There is apricot in some of the variants like the "Pink". The LP Red I don't know. I just enjoy the awesomeness. :D

I have not had a chance to do OCCo red yet. I have Blue and White. Red and Black are on my "to get" long list. I get derailed by the LE offerings like Ambrosia or, they're not OCCos, but cop heavy LPs like Titillating Temptress or Cops & Robbers (aka pussy pastry, lol) I'll get caught up someday.

I love my LP Red, Black and Gold. They have become must have basics.

Edited by StacyK

LP Red was my first love here. My friend loved it too. She helped drain my first bottle because every time I wore it, she knew that I had the bottle and she'd snag some. I think it was DD who mentioned she thought OCCO Red might actually have a little too much cops in it even for her (correct me if I'm wrong DD) so I'm hoping that's not the case for me. Pussy pastry... lol... Haven't tried THAT yet but since everything here is like crack, I'm sure that will end up on my list!!

Sorry that you two are in the FyC Hates Me club. :( Do you think it's a specific note in there that doesn't work for us? I won't threadjack anymore on the issue but I'm wondering if its the raspberry...

For me it's the type of Amber and musk

Since I'm not that great at figuring out what specifically in this blend does not work on my skin chemistry. It might be the coconut that is used in this one. On me, it takes over the blend and smells like paper.

For me it's the type of Amber and musk

Since I'm not that great at figuring out what specifically in this blend does not work on my skin chemistry. It might be the coconut that is used in this one. On me, it takes over the blend and smells like paper.

Well, it sounds we've covered everything between the three of us. I thought the raspberry because there's just no sweetness, almost a bitter scent but I agree with you DD. I didn't equate it before but in a way, that is kind of what I smell. Weird. :(

You know.... I FINALLY just tried LP Red last night. I had just never gotten around to ordering and trying it out, but decided to get a sample vial in my last order.

The big reason is of course, I didn't think I'd like the scent, it's not really your watery green sort of scent I normally like. Strangely though, I DO like the smell of LP Red. Well, while it's fresh on my skin at least. It's so weird, this isn't something I thought I would like, but it's not bad at all. I kept sniffing my wrists for a good hour or so. And this scent lasts FOREVER on me. Somewhere in the few-hours-later of the drydown though, this scent goes all smoky on me, which is the part I'm not really fond of.

So I think it's one to keep the sample vial of, but I'll need to think on it further if I actually like it or not. On the one hand I like the scent within the first hour or so of application but I don't like the later drydown.

Well, it sounds we've covered everything between the three of us. I thought the raspberry because there's just no sweetness, almost a bitter scent but I agree with you DD. I didn't equate it before but in a way, that is kind of what I smell. Weird. :(

I normally love Rasberry scents, but its that lack of swettness you state and that smell of paper that makes this blend not work for my skin... I'm bummed becuase I really wanted this to work so darn badly....

You know.... I FINALLY just tried LP Red last night. I had just never gotten around to ordering and trying it out, but decided to get a sample vial in my last order.

The big reason is of course, I didn't think I'd like the scent, it's not really your watery green sort of scent I normally like. Strangely though, I DO like the smell of LP Red. Well, while it's fresh on my skin at least. It's so weird, this isn't something I thought I would like, but it's not bad at all. I kept sniffing my wrists for a good hour or so. And this scent lasts FOREVER on me. Somewhere in the few-hours-later of the drydown though, this scent goes all smoky on me, which is the part I'm not really fond of.

So I think it's one to keep the sample vial of, but I'll need to think on it further if I actually like it or not. On the one hand I like the scent within the first hour or so of application but I don't like the later drydown.

It definitely has a smokey feel after the dry down. You should try reading the OCCO - All Flavors thread (or maybe DD or Celrynnya here since they've used it) and see if the OCCO Red is less smokey. I've ordered a bottle FINALLY but I've never had the chance to test it so I don't know if it gives off the same scent in the dry down. Another thought is to wonder if silicone might help. Dolly had mentioned it in a different thread and how some use it a bit like lotion on application points and it may help keep the scent truer longer. I'm getting a bottle to try out with Velvet Kisses to see if it can keep my skin from eating it up within minutes.

Glad you tried and liked Red. After smelling your Year of the Snake, this has to be on the opposite end of the spectrum!!! :D

I normally love Rasberry scents, but its that lack of swettness you state and that smell of paper that makes this blend not work for my skin... I'm bummed becuase I really wanted this to work so darn badly....

So true, so true. This one is the one and only so far that just doesn't seem to want to work on my skin. :( So, if things work out, Just Ducky may be enjoying it soon and it will have a happy new home because I've decided to bid it goodbye rather than keep hoping that it will change. Our relationship is just over. :Emoticons08045:

Now, Everything Nice is the next one that I'm waiting to see about. Took Luna's advice and I'm just letting it steep for awhile before I bring it out and give it another whirl.

I don't get any smoke from LP Red. After dry down I get lots of spice some sugar and a powdery, sexy feel. I wonder if it is a combo of these plus the resins that may present smoke like to you? Perceptions of scent ( psychological and chemistry wise) are really interesting. Fig in some scents can smell smoke-like to me.

That's what's so interesting about skin chemistry as I am coming to find. I know that there aren't any smoke notes in Red but there's something about how it reacts because I've had others say that they smell it too then I'm having to tell them that it's me and that tends to cause a bit of chuckling. Everyone likes it so its definitely not bad but there's something about the blend that causes a reaction on me. It might be a combo of the woods and resins. Because I've always smelled that though since my very first roll on, that's what I loved about it so it just goes to prove once again how these really do seem to tailor itself to who is wearing it. :D

I'm not exactly sure why, but I had the impression, before getting Red, that the patchouli would be prominent and that it would be earthy and not sweet. I finally buy it and it's all sweet and cinnamon and sugar and light on me. I really don't know WHAT I was thinking but whatever it was...was WAY off. No smoke though, just sweet sugary, creamy vanilla cinnamon.... :in-love:

That's what's so interesting about skin chemistry as I am coming to find. I know that there aren't any smoke notes in Red but there's something about how it reacts because I've had others say that they smell it too then I'm having to tell them that it's me and that tends to cause a bit of chuckling. Everyone likes it so its definitely not bad but there's something about the blend that causes a reaction on me. It might be a combo of the woods and resins. Because I've always smelled that though since my very first roll on, that's what I loved about it so it just goes to prove once again how these really do seem to tailor itself to who is wearing it. :D

Yeah, I know what you mean. LP Red does what it's supposed to on me, but when I combine it with OCCO Red I get a coffee type smell??? LP Black also amps a celery type note on me??? Wish those two would stay true on my skin.

Coffee... that's interesting!! I'll have to see what I end up with when I get the OCCO Red. It's a surprise in every bottle!!

Everything Nice is my other problem child. It goes on smelling like gingerbread - that's good. After it dries down, it smells a bit strange. I'm letting that one age though a little more and see if it works. I might try the silicone on that one too and see if that helps. If not, that will be the two from last month I had the highest hopes for and both of which will be going to happy new homes. Bummer.

Do you know what the notes are Beccah that you get your reactions from? Being so new still, I'm starting to see certain patterns for me of what amps and what doesn't but its still a work in progress.

Coffee... that's interesting!! I'll have to see what I end up with when I get the OCCO Red. It's a surprise in every bottle!!

Everything Nice is my other problem child. It goes on smelling like gingerbread - that's good. After it dries down, it smells a bit strange. I'm letting that one age though a little more and see if it works. I might try the silicone on that one too and see if that helps. If not, that will be the two from last month I had the highest hopes for and both of which will be going to happy new homes. Bummer.

Do you know what the notes are Beccah that you get your reactions from? Being so new still, I'm starting to see certain patterns for me of what amps and what doesn't but its still a work in progress.

Civit doesn't agree with me, it amps & gets really sharp. Cumin goes funky on me & a couple of the honeys get really musky on me.

...question.. wouldn't some of the 'sweetness' in the OCCo red come from the cops? IMO the addition of cops to a dark or spicy scent, has a sugar in coffee effect to my nose.(after dry-down)

^^^Me too! Or, at least, my nose too, lol. The OCCO Red to me is definitely RED but sweeter and I LOVE to wear them together. Did I mention that I'm STILL kicking myself for waiting SO long to get both of those...really...if anyone is on the fence about these...GET THEM! just sayin....

It definitely has a smokey feel after the dry down. You should try reading the OCCO - All Flavors thread (or maybe DD or Celrynnya here since they've used it) and see if the OCCO Red is less smokey. I've ordered a bottle FINALLY but I've never had the chance to test it so I don't know if it gives off the same scent in the dry down. Another thought is to wonder if silicone might help. Dolly had mentioned it in a different thread and how some use it a bit like lotion on application points and it may help keep the scent truer longer. I'm getting a bottle to try out with Velvet Kisses to see if it can keep my skin from eating it up within minutes.

Glad you tried and liked Red. After smelling your Year of the Snake, this has to be on the opposite end of the spectrum!!! :D

So true, so true. This one is the one and only so far that just doesn't seem to want to work on my skin. :( So, if things work out, Just Ducky may be enjoying it soon and it will have a happy new home because I've decided to bid it goodbye rather than keep hoping that it will change. Our relationship is just over. :Emoticons08045:

Now, Everything Nice is the next one that I'm waiting to see about. Took Luna's advice and I'm just letting it steep for awhile before I bring it out and give it another whirl.

This so made me laugh "Our relationship is over"

• 2 weeks later...

I amp the cinnamon and patch like CRAZY in LP Red :( It almost smells like incense. I so wish it would work on me. I'm jealous of those of you that get sweet cinnamon sugar vanilla from this! Damn skin chemistry!!

It's interesting because the incensey sort of smell is what made me like it so much when I first came here! I don't know if I would like it as much if my skin chemistry had made it smell like how others describe it. I've never considered it bad at all... it's still my all time favorite. It's a strange thing how not only our skin chemistry can alter a scent into either something we love or can't stand. I love it and it sounds like it is not high on your list, hearts.

No not my fave :/ I'm not into patch heavy or incense like scents. Maybe scent memory or something makes me not into the incense. And my skin usually amps it to the heavens! Lol!! Weird but LP Black and LP Passion and Desire I like ok.

First time I tried LP Black, I didn't like it. It seemed off... something about a note didn't go well. But then I waited for a month and tried it again, holy cow what a difference. I need to remember what time of the month that was because it was totally different and so gorgeous!! OCCO Black is even better!!!

I amp the cinnamon and patch like CRAZY in LP Red :( It almost smells like incense. I so wish it would work on me. I'm jealous of those of you that get sweet cinnamon sugar vanilla from this! Damn skin chemistry!!

Have you tried Occo Red? That one is sweeter to me than LP Red. Just sweet cinnamon vanilla frosting...that one might work better on you than the other Red. I like them both but I go through phases of liking one more than the other.

Ooh no I haven't tried OCCO Red.. Im going to have to try it :) heading to the OCCO review thread to scope it out.

Oh yeah...you have got to get a sample then.I think it is more your style if you want to avoid the incensey thing...I am saving my last swipe until I can get a fresh bottle. I love it.

Have you tried Occo Red? That one is sweeter to me than LP Red. Just sweet cinnamon vanilla frosting...that one might work better on you than the other Red. I like them both but I go through phases of liking one more than the other.

I just got OCCO Red in my last order and I agree that there's a bit of a difference. I can definitely tell more of the straight cinnamon, vanilla like how others describe LP Red. I can only assume that the apricot in the mix must give something a little softer edge to whatever it is in Red. It smells the same to me but is definitely less of an incense feel. I'm going to mix the two and see which one wins in the end. ;)

LP Red was my first love here. My friend loved it too. She helped drain my first bottle because every time I wore it, she knew that I had the bottle and she'd snag some. I think it was DD who mentioned she thought OCCO Red might actually have a little too much cops in it even for her (correct me if I'm wrong DD) so I'm hoping that's not the case for me. Pussy pastry... lol... Haven't tried THAT yet but since everything here is like crack, I'm sure that will end up on my list!!

Yes, OCCO Red, for me did have to much cops and I had to sell it, I never thought that would happen since I use about a bottle every-time I apply my scents, I need to have a lighter hand...

That's strange that the OCCO would have more than what you normally use!! Do you find that with other OCCOs or is it specific to the Red? I really liked wearing the White today with LP Original. Of course, it was a crappy day but certainly a nicely smelling crappy day.

OMG I'm glad that I'm not the only one that gets a whiff of celery in LP Black!!!

Also, I think Potion Master said once early in this thread that it's the particular amber that could smell burnt on some people... I definitely get it too, but I actually like it.