Crayons: Burnt Umber

Beccah

AD-BurntUmber_1.jpg

Crayon Collection: Burnt Umber

A rich deep tone the result of which can only be obtained with fire - heating raw umber until it oxidizes - we've created a fragranced interpretation suitable for both men and women to enjoy…the resinous aura of a blend of ambers, nag champa and exotic majmua melded with smoky Arabian wood attars and intriguing earth accords.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

AMBERS ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.
SANDALWOOD, ARABIAN WOOD BOUQUET ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
SMOKE ~ In addition to the attributes of whatever is being burned (resins, woods, etc), smoke is for cleansing, purification, renewal, consecration, concealment
and celebration. It is also the foremost mode of communication from this world to the realm of spirits and the gods.
CHAMPA FLOWER ~ Nobility. Psychic enhancer; inspires peace and harmony; fidelity.
EARTH ~ Grounding, centering, protection, renewal, reincarnation, life.

This is a very woody smoky earthy sandalwood on me. The smoke seems a deeper richer smoke than papal purple (perhaps due to the earth note). The sandalwood is a woody sandalwood. After a few minutes the sandalwood settles down and the amber blooms on me.

A very rich scent. And it definitley envokes the color of its name!

I really like this scent! Rich, exotic, and woody. I actually don't get a ton of smoke, but what I do get is rich and woody, almost as if the woods in this are being burned. There's a hint of something medicinal in this, but I'm not sure what. And it works. This is like opening an old wooden box that's been buried, earthy and musky. I really like this scent but it's not something I would wear regularly. I will keep and enjoy my sample, though!

This reminds me of a few things...on the guys' side it's somewhat like Rajah, a guy could definitely wear this kind of attar-based fragrance. But the sandalwood also reminds me a bit of Bosom Bows, though not quite as dry. It comes off as burning sandalwood incense on me, so I think Mara perfectly captured that quality of creating the burnt umber pigment in its process, the smokiness is a quality which continues throughout the drydown. Amazingly this isn't giving me a migraine (which sandalwood-heavy scents usually do), it has a really potent exotic quality to it (and clings quite well) - I can see lovers of that trope really enjoying this one.

I put this on and immediately said NOPE :) it was like a bpal snake oil lite and the nag champa tried to kill me. But then before scrubbing it off I gave myself a hasty self-soothing slather of Maras warm and toasty on all exposed areas. I impulsively rubbed one part of my umber test patch together with the umber. I cannot describe with words how delicious the result is. The toast is now densely chewy, and the umber is now a buttered food. Truly swoony.

The umber part that I didn't rub with toasty, faded really fast and left me with just a little blond, almost waxy sandalwood, not at all pointy, slight threat of plasticness.

It's very interesting to hear the differences between those who like this one and those who maybe aren't quite as much in love. I was a little iffy about the notes, in part because some I don't have too much experience with and some have been finicky in the past on my skin. I did order the sampler though so I will be looking forward to seeing which camp I fall into.

I'm afraid this is going to get all stigmata on me. I can't do it guys. I feel like I'll try to escape my body like Jim Carrey did in that one movie with the Rhino. Nag Champ and the Sand confuses me. I don't know how I'll react. It's like drugs, that's why I never did them. I am so chicken. Maybe I will wait til For Whom The Bells Toll is el fin.

I do get Luna's statement about it being similar to Rajah....although it isn't as potent-smelling as Rajah. I think it would be great on a guy, but I like it on me too!

It reminds me a lot of Spirit Bottle, with the smoky, incensy, woodsy feel. OH LYNNE!! You need some of this!!

I'm afraid this is going to get all stigmata on me. I can't do it guys. I feel like I'll try to escape my body like Jim Carrey did in that one movie with the Rhino.

Haha! That's my favorite scene, from any movie - ever!

Haha! That's my favorite scene, from any movie - ever!

LOL Mine is always going to be the horse head from Godfather. It gets me every single time. I am very curious to try this, but since I have Indigo on, I cannot let my forehead be raped twice in one day. That's just too savage.

I do get Luna's statement about it being similar to Rajah....although it isn't as potent-smelling as Rajah. I think it would be great on a guy, but I like it on me too!

It reminds me a lot of Spirit Bottle, with the smoky, incensy, woodsy feel. OH LYNNE!! You need some of this!!

This was my concern Dolly. I have enough unisex type scents for now so thought this might be what I was NOT wanting even though they are beautiful.

At first I amped the earth note! But once this dried down, it chilled out and shared the stage.

This smells very "natural" to me. The earth note, to my nose, is a very dark, moist and alive, perfect-for-growing-things earth smell. Everything else adds to this earthiness and after dry down is melded together in such a complimentary way and is incredibly well blended. Liking the woods and even that little bit of smokiness - barely there. It's REALLY nice! I didn't think I'd like it so much. I think I would love this on my man....

I finally cracked this open late last night and oh, wow. Wet in the vial I get heavy wet dirt. Which for me is heaven. I put it on and just reveled in it -- it's almost like a non-floral Haunted Hallows! It smells like woods, and earth, and it's completely natural. I didn't get an incense-y vibe at all, which I was a little worried about.

I can't exactly imagine wearing this as a scent for being in the company of others. but as soon as I can afford it I definitely want a bottle. This would be great for meditation, especially outdoors. Also, come autumn, I think it could work as a sleep scent for me.

Okay I finally got a chance to try this baby out. I immediately smelled earth. Like freshly watered soil in the morning on a cold day. As soon as it settled down bit I started smelling something sweet., almost like an orange, now that it's completely dry it smells like a tamale. I started to crave the chile and cheese tamales that my mom buys and then I smelled my hand and I know why. It's this scent! It smells exactly like those delicious tamales!!!! I wonder what is making it smell this way?

This one is opposite of what I like to wear. I get earthiness in the beginning, then the sandalwood blooms. Then the smoke and champ put me in a choke hold.

LV, I kinda see what you mean about the tamale smell. Like the husky corn wrapper or something is what it's reminding me of.

I wasn't holding out alot of hope for this one, even though I was curious about the sandalwood. I didn't like the idea of the smoke or the champa flower, and the earth note, while it sounds good to me, makes me think of Haunted Hallows which I recently tried and disliked. I was afraid this was going to be all incense-y, and when it was wet I disliked it. Now that it's dried down, though, I'm actually kinda loving it. The woods and the earth are playing very nicely together, and I'm not getting alot of smokiness at all. I agree with what a few other people have said as well - this would smell amazing on a guy. However, I don't find it too masculine to wear it myself. All in all, this one has surprised me alot. It may even make it on my fb wishlist, although there are definitely quite a few perfumes that would be ahead of it in line.

This is like opening an old wooden box that's been buried, earthy and musky.

BB this is perfect! It does smell "old" to me.

Guys - As of the writing of this review, this scent was in the Womens Review section. It is however a Unisex scent which are often found in the Mens Fragrance sections. So - if you are a guy and reading this, do not let the fact that it is in the Women's Section give you the wrong idea - this is very much a unisex scent and is very easily worn by a guy! I can see where women can wear this, but this will not come across as feminine whatsoever if a guy wears it, IMO.

I think this is a very good guy's scent. It is in the same overall vein (to me) of one of my all time favorites here: Pashazade, although there are obviously differences. I think it is more Pashazade than Cry Havoc or The Sand Box which are two other favorites here. I get a strong sense of the woods, earth and smoke up front with the ambers and everything sle in the background. This one actually stays very close wet through dry-down and on through time. As time wore on, the ambers came through a little stronger and the smoke a little less. But from start to finish, this scent was pretty much the same on me.

If you are into deeper scents, then this is one you need to try.

I have to say that this has definite staying power! I added some Warm & Toasty on the spot where I sampled Burnt Umber, and the two did smell amazing together - thanks Tyvey! But after washing my hands a couple of times since, the W&T is gone, but I can still smell Burnt Umber!

• 1 month later...

Burnt Umber and I have been at a standoff since I got her. I usually like attars...and fer cryin' out loud: Every note except smoke is a WIN note for me, and smoke will sometimes play nice with my skin. Aaaand Burnt Umber is an absolute staple on my palette, no matter which medium I'm in!!!

But, well, the first two times I tried wearing Burnt Umber, I just amped the hell outta the earth and the smoke, and that's all I got before it faded. This SO disappointed me. Freakin' skin chemistry!

:Emoticons0424: However, tonight...tonight there has been progress! The ampage didn't happen with the smoke, the earth (which I always lurrrrve) screamed, "O HAI!!!" and then immediately backed down, and I am getting a little bit of dry Sandal!!!

:fingers-crossed: So! I am holding onto this vial because I think it just may age as gracefully as I. *gigglesnort*

P.S. Am going to try Tyvey's trick with the Warm & Toasty. ~Thanks, Woman!~

• 8 months later...

My brain (and nose) are learning and making connections. I'm excited at the progress. When I got a sample vial of this months ago, I went: "huh ???" because it didn't make sense/scents to me. I didn't know what I was smelling, and I didn't like it, so I put it in my box of "to be traded".

So here I am, months on, and my box is getting full and I'm giving everything one last chance to stay with me or go. But something has evidently happened to my neural pathways between then and now. I have started to learn what's in certain scents, and I've started to make memory and emotional connections with a much larger variety of scents in a few short months than I have made in my entire life (this might be an exaggeration, but Mara uses many many ingredients, and I almost always get the monthly samplers, and then some). Anyway, as luck would have it, I had been playing with LP Black recently, and written a review on Knot, and ordered OCCO Black. So I opened this neglected little vial and BINGO ! Suddenly this scent = Knot + Black. And everything fell into place and I inhaled deeply and marveled at how it has come to pass that I have come to 'understand' this LP. I gave myself a little pat on the back and remembered in other recent threads how some others of you are also noticing changes / growth in the variety of scents you are able to enjoy.

So why did I write so much about this ? To me, this is an acquired taste, not a scent normally found in nature. But it might just grow on ya, the way it did me. I'm going to combine the rest of my sample with Leather. Yum.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, what can I say about this one? The scent reminded me of something, but I couldn't think of what--then it hit me. I am from a small town where there is very little to do. The ONE thing there was to do when I was a teenager--to my mother's and grandmother's chagrin, who thought it unladylike--was hang out in the pool hall. This scent reminds me of the pool hall! This is back in the day when nobody really cared if people smoked indoors or around underaged people.

Oh, how I miss that pool hall! Let me tell you about it...

On the outside, there were crumbling cement steps leading up to the door. Once in the door, you went to your left into a bare, empty room. It was always cold and drafty. There was an edge of excitement there--what would happen tonight? Would there be any new and/or interesting guys there? Maybe a crush? Then through another door to the actual pool hall (which was much warmer!). Right to the left of this door was the counter where the owner, John, took payments and talked with people. It wasn't a terribly big room, but enough for about 4 or 5 antique pool tables (some big, some smaller). You could smell the antique wood, mingled with cigarette smoke. There was a big grate in the floor where the cigarette butts seemed to end up. Then, in back, another small room with a ping-pong table. The lighting wasn't exactly dark, but it wasn't bright, either. It was muted. Its gloom fit the place. No windows were in the room with the pool tables. Pool cues hung in racks on the wall.

John was nice to us kids, and he didn't really have too many rules. I think you had to be 12 or 14 or something like that in order to go in there (except on Halloween, when kids could go in for treats). Other than that, he didn't like it if you knocked the ball on the floor, or did anything that might damage the felt on the tables. He taught us how to hold the cue, and how to line up a shot. He gave us a place to go; to hang out. Where I'm from, that was sorely needed.

The combination of the colognes and perfumes of the patrons of the pool hall, the cigarette smoke, and the wood added up to a scent that is very similar to Crayons: Burnt Umber. It is hauntingly familiar to me for that reason. Oh god, I miss that place so much! The fact that it's gone now makes me want to cry. I often came out of there with a headache and smelling of smoke, but I loved every second of it. For that reason, I adore this scent.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really work on my skin. It's all smoke and no perfume. But I will treasure it in the vial, and remember wistfully the place that represents my teenaged years.

• 2 weeks later...

I love scent memories like that. I'll have to dig up this sample again. Obviously it didn't work on me or I would have a bottle but why I wonder. I like all those notes UNLESS it was too masculine on me. I'll find it later and get to the bottom of this!

Well now I'm curious!

I was in tears all night after this one...I miss that place so much.

• 2 months later...

I really like this! It does smell Indian, like Indian soap and incense. A little smoky, floral attars that bring the memory of exotic sari fabrics drying in the wind. The florals smell a bit like a laundry soap I remember as a child. With the smoke and earth notes, it gets a mature twist - I imagine it'll age very well and will be worn beautifully during cooler months.

• 7 months later...

The label represents the scent well. It's exotic, and can definitely smell the attar. Even though I'm not Indian, I am familiar with such a scent. When I opened the sample vial , I thought "Ahhh....ya I smelled this before". If you enter an Indian grocery store or clothing store, you may smell something similar.

The strength of the scent was also on the strong side. Therefore, little dapping goes a long way. I may keep the sample vial as it would be nice to wear it once in a blue moon. Even though I could wear it, I'd see myself opting for something else so for me, I wouldn't buy something bigger than the sample vial.

For the men reading this, it's definitely masculine and you will definitely smell unique compared to other men.