Love Potion: Black

Teggy

gallery photo

A deep, dark and ultra sensuous Love Potion® variety, that's dense with erotic appeal. A blend of thick, rich Vanilla Bean, aged and Indonesian Patchouli resins, Honeycomb and Brown Sugar, Amber resin, and a luscious Chypre blend. Extravagantly, deliciously rich!

VANILLA BEAN ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
AMBER ~ Fertility, luck, riches, sensuality.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts, sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money.
HONEYCOMB ~ Enticing, seductive, use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover, happiness, fulfillment.
BROWN SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck, sweetness, riches, lust inducing.

How can there NOT be a review of this yet? Okay one sec...

*Teggy puts some on, accidentally getting a little in her eye cause she's a klutz*

Okay, now that that pain is over, let's get to some reviewing huh? So far, I think Black is a winner. It reminds me of a more complex version of Sugared Patchouli. When wet, it's even a little buttery and rich. But that quickly fades upon drydown. It's foody, yet earthy with a just a hint of spice. Fortunately, it's not so potent that its cloying. I almost feel like I'm sniffing some kind of cake as opposed to a perfume.

I'd reccomend this if you're a "foody" scent lover like me, but you're looking for something a little more complex so no one will say, "You smell like a...cake."

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweetie, I didn't give that to you so you could get it in your eye! :)

I agree that it has that quality, it's very thick and it sort of grabs onto you, if that makes any sense. I think when I initially reviewed it at bpal.org I called it "sexed-up buttercreme." :o

This sounds yummy. Would you say that it is similar to Dior's Addict? I was a huge fan of this fragrance before it became discontinued. The notes that stayed with me were the bourbon vanilla, tonka bean, and sandalwood; it was delicious! I have been searching for a replacement for this ever since women's fragrances veered away from gourmand a few years ago, which brought me to Mara Fox :lol: Thank goodness for her and her crew!

Description of Addict from Fragrance.com:

Dior Addict Perfume by Christian Dior, Dior addict indulges the senses with sumptuous silk tree flower, voluptuous night queen flower, and luscious bourbon vanilla combined with sandalwood and tonka bean to evoke a feeling of passion in the woman who wears it. Sensual. Soft. Feminine.

Edited by cmartin1

I really love LP Black--as much as the original.

It reminds me very much of the original LP, but darker (well, duh). It's warm and sweet and just beautiful. I think "sexed up buttercreme" is a perfect description. I will switch on and off between LP original and Black, they're both so good!

Description of Addict from Fragrance.com:

Dior Addict Perfume by Christian Dior, Dior addict indulges the senses with sumptuous silk tree flower, voluptuous night queen flower, and luscious bourbon vanilla combined with sandalwood and tonka bean to evoke a feeling of passion in the woman who wears it. Sensual. Soft. Feminine.

LP Black is one of my favorites too. It's for sure a darker version of LP original and an edible smelling ^physical hunger^ inducing scent. You're making me want to go smell Dior Addict again because I don't remember it smelling this way and now I'm curious. I tend to like the Dior scents, vaguely edible smelling as they are. I'm not familiar with silk tree flower but night queen is another name for night-blooming-jasmine.

Do you have a drop you wouldn't mind swapping for something else, cmartin1?

• 3 weeks later...
LP Black is one of my favorites too. It's for sure a darker version of LP original and an edible smelling ^physical hunger^ inducing scent. You're making me want to go smell Dior Addict again because I don't remember it smelling this way and now I'm curious. I tend to like the Dior scents, vaguely edible smelling as they are. I'm not familiar with silk tree flower but night queen is another name for night-blooming-jasmine.

Do you have a drop you wouldn't mind swapping for something else, cmartin1?

I apologize for the late reply, I was sucked into the college class vortex!

Sadly I don't have a drop left. I used every last bit of it, but still kept the bottle around until I moved in early August. That's how much I loved that stuff.

On a positive note, I must say that Yule Snuggle comes very close to Addict on me - enough that I think I will be treating myself to something larger than a sample size!

• 1 month later...
I apologize for the late reply, I was sucked into the college class vortex!

Sadly I don't have a drop left. I used every last bit of it, but still kept the bottle around until I moved in early August. That's how much I loved that stuff.

On a positive note, I must say that Yule Snuggle comes very close to Addict on me - enough that I think I will be treating myself to something larger than a sample size!

Black is really growing on me, too, now that the weather is cooler. I have it in the solid and it is sooo potent. Love the patchouli-amber combinations! Sweet dark brown sugar and patchouli dominate at first, but after a while I get something kind of incensey ... quite a femme fatale, this one!

• 2 weeks later...

I have this in the solid perfume, and can only repeat what the others already said...brown sugar, sexed up buttercreme, warm vanilla... this is a sexy dark fragrance, but not at all harsh or overpowering. I really like this one at bedtime... it makes me feel warm and cozy, and the fragrance lasts and lasts! When I wake up during the night (I'm never able to sleep all night without waking a few times) I will sniff my wrist and it soothes me back to sleep.

Like Poenari. I have this in the solid form.

I think before I go further I should say that my preference, perfume-wise, is for heady intoxicating brews. Light florals and subtle fragances tend not to be my greatest favorites.

On me, LP Black is buttercream and vanilla. The other notes do not really come through - but that's cool because I do like vanilla (who doesn't) as long as it noticeably vanilla. And this is.

For me, this is a voluptous vanilla with thick sinful, calorie-laden buttercream and it's not claggy or cloying. It's just yummy. The solids are nice too because the base the perfume is suspended in is very moisturising and leaves a nice sheen on your skin. So I tend to rub it along my collarbones as well as on my pulse points.

It has a great highlighting effect. :wacko:

May

Edited by May

• 3 weeks later...

It got so cold last week that I finally broke out my winter coat. I stuck my hand in my pocket, and what did I find but . . . Love Potion Black! I thought I'd lost this sample forever, but apparently it was just hiding.

Which is fabulous. I'd almost forgotten just how much I love this oil. It's got that lovely, almost edible sweetness, but it's balanced with a bit of a darker edge. On me it's incredibly rich vanilla and luscious honey, edged with other, darker notes. It's like the scent equivalent of a soft black leather jacket, the kind that, whenever you put it on, you know it looks good.

I just might leave this one in my coat pocket, dangerous place though it is. Never can tell when it might come in handy!

• 3 weeks later...

This smelled like honey and vanilla on initial application. It faded to a musky, woody almost light pachouli scent. I can tell this would be wonderful on someone with a different body chemistry. My body turned this into a very non-sexy lumber jack almost Nag Champa scent ;(

EDIT: A few hours later, the lumber jack scent has morphed into something good. Like BPAL Snake Oil smells on my friend (sexy and exotic). Snake Oil on myself smelled like Nag Champa. My father told me I smelled like a head shop.

I am giving this a few more chances.

Edited by DeliberateAngel

My body turned this into a very non-sexy lumber jack almost Nag Champa scent

Oh my. Not exactly how I would phrase it, but I get what you mean.

On me, LP Black goes very dark and dirty. It's one of a very few LPMP scents that never quite meshes with my skin. It's sexy in a filthy sort of way, like a brothel with a coal stove that doesn't vent properly. I can use it as a character scent (everyone picks appropriate perfume for costumes, right :blink: ) but out and about as myself, I find it distracting and therefore not good for enticement and beguilement.

I can smell the hints of the buttery, maple syrupy original LP in the vial. As soon as I put it on, I get the maple syrup. But, as it dries down it's heavier with a more resiny backing. It's still very, very sweet and I agree with the sexed up buttercream analysis. At one point I was getting a hint of dirty patchouli, but thankfully it went away.

Oh, I like this one too. I received my first package and absolutely adore both the red and the black, both of which I received in solids. The black, to me, seems not only a little "darker" than the red, but also quite a bit milder. Buttery, silky, and smoooooooth. It kind of sneaks up on you. I am going to have to get both in oil too, I think. :blink:

• 2 months later...

So my friend drags me to see this band because she likes the lead guitar player. She's had a crush on him for YEARS and he's never anything other than polite and aloof. She tells me this, and I say, WAIT! Let's put some Love Potion on you before we go. (original blend, not Black, but anyway...)

So we get to the club, and the object of her affection walks towards us on his way from the bar to the stage. She jabs me to point him out...oooh, he IS cute. He nonchalantly says, "Hey", in her direction, then continues past for like 3 more steps. Then he stops DEAD, turns back towards her giving her this look like he's never seen her properly before, grabs her, and starts MAKING OUT WITH HER - BIG TIME!

OMG!! I just buried my face in my hands as she MELTED into him, and they just did not stop. It was thoroughly, completely amazing. This was a few years ago, but they ended up dating for like 6 years. She finally dumped him because he became a self-indulgent, tortured artiste/alcoholic, but still, it's one of my favorite LP success stories and it happened right in front of my eyes.

Sooo....no. No pheromones in the LP varieties, but they hardly need them. The idea behind pheros and what we do is amazingly similar. We blend based upon scent triggers and sense memory - we know what kind of effect certain aromas have on people, and use this knowledge to design blends for different purposes. It's just as subconscious as pheros. The marriage between the two disciplines seemed like a natural.

The marriage between the two disciplines seemed like a natural.

I wholeheartedly agree.....not to mention the fact that, now that I've found LP, I smell better than I have in YEARS.....bonus for me!!

Pheros can work whether they are CONCIOUSLY smelled or not, but, it helps if you have something that smells so good that people want to get closer and smell you.....that way they get a whole nose-full of the pheros.

I also agree about the LP blends.....they turn a lot of heads.....

That is a great story! The LP blends, when they get warm...really seem to kick in BIG TIME. The first night I wore it to a local show, the guitar player/singer was at his table, and I walked over and chatted him up, y the end of the night he was buried in my hair saying "Oh my GOD you smell good".....mustve been a great scent memory for him.

Hes since stopped playing in the band, settled down to raise our kids ;) hes a good dad.

That is a great story! The LP blends, when they get warm...really seem to kick in BIG TIME. The first night I wore it to a local show, the guitar player/singer was at his table, and I walked over and chatted him up, y the end of the night he was buried in my hair saying "Oh my GOD you smell good".....mustve been a great scent memory for him.

Hes since stopped playing in the band, settled down to raise our kids ;) hes a good dad.

Now, that is also a great story! Congrats! Got to love that LP blends... scrumptious and SEXY!

• 2 weeks later...
Now, that is also a great story! Congrats! Got to love that LP blends... scrumptious and SEXY!

I just tested this one today. I LOVE IT! One of my favorites, hands down..fa' sure! My husband loves it too so that is a plus cuz he is fussy about them. This is just a gorgeous sexy scent. The vanilla seems to take more center stage, but the other notes come out just perfectly...kinda smells like a cross between vanilla and black licorice on me, and I love black licorce.

I just tested this one today. I LOVE IT! One of my favorites, hands down..fa' sure! My husband loves it too so that is a plus cuz he is fussy about them. This is just a gorgeous sexy scent. The vanilla seems to take more center stage, but the other notes come out just perfectly...kinda smells like a cross between vanilla and black licorice on me, and I love black licorce.

Oh yeah, it is just totally yummy, isn't it? Black is definitely one of my faves.....so is Red, though.....I have a hard time choosing......they actually smell good layered.....

Oh yeah, it is just totally yummy, isn't it? Black is definitely one of my faves.....so is Red, though.....I have a hard time choosing......they actually smell good layered.....

Like, Dollisimo :( I have both Red and Black in solid. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should try the original too. However, that said, am going only on a "trial while still in the vial" I think Green might become my new favourite.

May

Like, Dollisimo :( I have both Red and Black in solid. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should try the original too. However, that said, am going only on a "trial while still in the vial" I think Green might become my new favourite.

May

I recently received a sample of LP original in one of my packages.....you should try it, as it is truly lovely.....rich and creamy, and it lasted on my skin for a long, long time.....

I have not yet tried LP green.....

May

I have green and red also, but haven't tried them yet on me. White is on the way, as I just ordered it.

I recently received a sample of LP original in one of my packages.....you should try it, as it is truly lovely.....rich and creamy, and it lasted on my skin for a long, long time.....

I have not yet tried LP green.....

I'm trying Angel of Spring today, I'll try LP Green tonight and see how my skin likes it. :(

May

I just tested this one today. I LOVE IT! One of my favorites, hands down..fa' sure! My husband loves it too so that is a plus cuz he is fussy about them.

I so wish this was one of my husband's favorites! It would make it so easy for my "signature scent" he is requesting to be Love Potion and all its variants. Plus, I love them! They are so rich, comforting, and sexy...

He just isn't a fan at all of "foody" scents.

That's okay, I'm buying and wearing them for me... during the day... and then wearing "his" scents at home (Robin and Marian and Dark Seductions)

May

I have full bottles (yes, multiples, as I love these two so much!) of Red (oil only; no solid) and Black (oil and solid forms) and a full bottle of Pink (such a fun, girly scent!) and I am ordering full bottles of White (lovely and elegant!). In my last order, I also received trial vials of Original and Green.

The Green is definitely wonderful, isn't it, May! I'm loving that Green Musk; it lends a very earthy (growing, fertile) aspect to the LP. Kudos to Mara and Danna for another great LP variation!

I have green and red also, but haven't tried them yet on me. White is on the way, as I just ordered it.

White is absolutely lovely, isn't it? I truly love the way the LP base is transformed by the "white" varieties of the ingredients. As the description states, it is very elegant and sophisticated while still extremely sexy. Honestly, I had originally tried the Black and Red variants first, primarily because they *seemed* more darkly sexy and had waited to try the White. Now, after having received the White just this past week, I am very sorry I delayed. It is absolutely lovely and is fast becoming one of my favorites.

I wanted to like Love Potion Black. It smells very interesting in the vial. Earthy incense. On my skin, however, it seems to lose its complexity. I kept sniffing my wrist every so often to check whether the scent had morphed at all. Each time, though, I was reminded of my favorite local occult book store. I smelled exactly like that store. I might wear this to the rennaisance festival or a pagan event (if I were still involved in wicca).

I wanted to like Love Potion Black. It smells very interesting in the vial. Earthy incense. On my skin, however, it seems to lose its complexity. I kept sniffing my wrist every so often to check whether the scent had morphed at all. Each time, though, I was reminded of my favorite local occult book store. I smelled exactly like that store. I might wear this to the rennaisance festival or a pagan event (if I were still involved in wicca).

I felt the same way. New Age shop for sure. I did however like the way it made me appear. Like when I looked in the mirror I felt I transformed into an ethereal sexy being. Bizarre.

Definately for the Goth Angelia Jolie types.

I would describe the scent as butterscotch vanilla with heavy dark incense. I was told this scent didn't fit my age bracket or personality. It's slightly more seasoned than me. This is a tad heavy on the patchouli though very well blended. And still sexy to some nevertheless.

I felt the same way. New Age shop for sure. I did however like the way it made me appear. Like when I looked in the mirror I felt I transformed into an ethereal sexy being. Bizarre.

Definately for the Goth Angelia Jolie types.

I would describe the scent as butterscotch vanilla with heavy dark incense. I was told this scent didn't fit my age bracket or personality. It's slightly more seasoned than me. This is a tad heavy on the patchouli though very well blended. And still sexy to some nevertheless.

Well, I am not Goth at all, but this scent is totally creamy, decadent, and rich on me. Not overly patchouli or incense-like at all.....AND, it really does its job of attracting admiring glances.......it is definitely one of my faves.....as a matter of fact, I may have to wear this one today, just for the heck of it...... :P

Well, I am not Goth at all, but this scent is totally creamy, decadent, and rich on me. Not overly patchouli or incense-like at all.....AND, it really does its job of attracting admiring glances.......it is definitely one of my faves.....as a matter of fact, I may have to wear this one today, just for the heck of it...... :lol:

That's how it is on me, too! And, I love it's creamy vanilla richness. In fact, both I and The Bear were wearing it last night while at my son's band competition :P

That's how it is on me, too! And, I love it's creamy vanilla richness.

With just enough resin to ground it and keep it from being too sweet......love it.....

Got this in my order today as a solid perfume and I LOVE it! Best way to describe it? It's already been said - it smells to me like sexed up buttercreme! Buttery, musky, sweet and sexy! YUMMMMM!

• 5 months later...

OK, so I put on this one today, simply because my hand reached for it almost automatically.....probably because I haven't worn it for a while.....

It is still, hands down, one of my favorites of the LP varieties.....I have it in solid and oil form.....I hope this one remains a permanent part of the line.....

Edited by Dolly

Aside from Love potion Green, this is the Love Potion sample I keep reaching for. In my review of Love Potion Green, I think I remember saying that the two are similar to me. It took me a while to pick apart of different scents in Love Potion Green, but Love Potion Black was much easier for me to notice the different notes. The notes of creamy vanilla, amber, and patchouli are present in both, there is where I became a bit "scent confused".

Love Potion Black is very sexy like a sultry sunset where as Love Potion Green is flirty as a sweet smelling misty spring day. Love Potion Black is much deeper in it's base tones and that is enhanced by the dark sugar. Love Potion Black has no pheromones, but makes me feel sexy when I put in on. This potion is a classic.

Love Potion Black is very sexy like a sultry sunset where as Love Potion Green is flirty as a sweet smelling misty spring day. Love Potion Black is much deeper in it's base tones and that is enhanced by the dark sugar. Love Potion Black has no pheromones, but makes me feel sexy when I put in on. This potion is a classic.

Yeah, I love love love this one......wearing it today, as a matter of fact.....

Edited by Dolly